Any one run Roller rockers on GT40 heads

MyHoFoSho

Aug 14, 2007
Ok i am putting gt40 heads on the little 5.0 and i have been reading about roller rockers for the heads i know i need special rockers for them but where to get them, how to set them up and do they really help. I know they say that roller rockers are suposed to help out but have never put them on or if i should or could i do something else that would be better spent in the quest for horspower.

• Sponsors (?)

1993 cobras cpm stock with roller rockers on gt40s.

Crane made them, but they are out of business now.

They are a decent mod, but If you are near stock look elsewhere for hp. If you are doing heads and a cam/intake, they they can add power. Make sure you upgrade the valve springs and look carefully at what cam and ratio to run.

You need pedestal mount with the gt40 heads

Yup got the valve springs put in by the machine shop and they are set up for the trick flow stage one cam that is going on with the heads. Also i had the heads milled 15thou would that effect push rod clearance at all and what do you think the comp ratio will be with the heads milled and stock pistons on the gt40s. I heard that for every 15thou milled off the head is about .5 bump in comp ratio but arent the combusion chambers in the gt40 heads bigger than the stock e7s just wanting to know. And so are you guys saying it is a bit hard and pricey to get roller rockers for the 40s

I got some pedestal mount 1.72 ratio Scorpion rockers, but I run them with my stock cam on GT40P's. I would suggest some of their 1.6's for your application. Just get on the scorpion website and you can find them. They werent that expensive, but you will have to get your shims elsewhere. I got mine from a local machine shop.

ok i found them but how you set them up as in what do you need the shims for i have never messed with pedestal mount rockers before. I guess how do you know what height you need or if you need to shim them at all and scorpion has shims you can get for $13.

Crane is in business.I JUST got a bag of new pedestals in the mail from them yesterday.

http://cranecams.com/

I use 1.6 roller rockers on my GT40-P heads now.I have some 1.7 Scorpions on the way,but I don't really know if I'll use them or not,or even if they'll make that much of a difference. I'm also using a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam.

I just got a set of Pro Form 1.6 pedistal mount roller rockers from Summit they were a good price, 175.00 I think they probly arnt as good as some of the high dollar rockers but my motor is mild and wont be turning a zillion rpms

Crane is in business.I JUST got a bag of new pedestals in the mail from them yesterday.

CraneCams

I use 1.6 roller rockers on my GT40-P heads now.I have some 1.7 Scorpions on the way,but I don't really know if I'll use them or not,or even if they'll make that much of a difference. I'm also using a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam.

Nice. I need a set of valve springs from them.

I'm doing gt40ps a tfs 1 cam and crane cobra 1.7rrs

ok i found them but how you set them up as in what do you need the shims for i have never messed with pedestal mount rockers before. I guess how do you know what height you need or if you need to shim them at all and scorpion has shims you can get for $13.

Scorpion also has installation instructions you can use. Basically you get the rocker at zero lash by rotating the engine at the crank (pushrod bottomed out), and torque the rocker stud to 20 or 25 ft/lbs, cant remember which. You must get that torque within one turn of the torque wrench, or else you need to shim under the rocker. Im no expert, so make sure to follow the directions, thats just a very basic explanation to give you an idea.

Oh, and be sure to get the square looking shims for Ford pedestal mount applications. You dont want the washer looking ones.