Any Particular Power Window Motor Fellas

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
My power window on driver's side has been making a clicking noise when the window goes all the way down and has been doing that for yrs. Just recently it started going sometimes halfway up, sometimes 3/4 of the way up and stop. Years ago I replaced those rubber/plastic little white things I believe the motor gear bushings and it fixed my problem I had at that time. I forgot exactly what it was doing back then but after researching I checked those and they were worn so replaced them and worked like a champ. Now since I have never replaced the motors I am checking to see if you guys have what brand did you go with and wondering if anyone has bought the store brand one's and had success or didn't, last long or didnt last long, ect?
for instance Rock Auto has some VDO's for 30 and 35 bucks and Dorman is 45 bucks. The motorcraft is about 104 bucks with 30 core. Also seems like some is with and without the regulator and stuff so i will inspect mine. Just wanted some insight on what you guys know.
Thanks

i will inspect the bushings again too just to see if those are ate up again but with the motors being the original they very well might be bout shot. Also the pass side one has been going up slower for yrs but goes all the way up.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO you want to avoid the cheap chinese made motors. I actually go to JY and try and find the original ones, and then rebuild them- replace the plastic nubs with three 1/4 x 20 nuts that will never wear out. If you can't find them in a JY check the boards and CL for guys parting cars out.

IMO you want to avoid the cheap chinese made motors. I actually go to JY and try and find the original ones, and then rebuild them- replace the plastic nubs with three 1/4 x 20 nuts that will never wear out. If you can't find them in a JY check the boards and CL for guys parting cars out.
y get ones from junkyard if you can rebuild yours lol?
unless to avoid having the door skin off for a period of time while you work on it.

y get ones from junkyard if you can rebuild yours lol?
unless to avoid having the door skin off for a period of time while you work on it.

If the motor on yours is fried, then you need a replacement. My reference to rebuilding is cleaning the motor of old grease, replacing the plastic nubs with metal nuts, and new grease. That's all there is to it.

If the motor on yours is fried, then you need a replacement. My reference to rebuilding is cleaning the motor of old grease, replacing the plastic nubs with metal nuts, and new grease. That's all there is to it.
oh ok cool. So basically i need to check to see rather the motor is good or not. With the new motor if i did buy one, would it not come with all of the parts that I would do the rebuild with ? The bushings also?

Also aint that gear plastic? If you pu metal nuts in there would that possibly cause friction and wear out that gear(s)?

Last edited:
oh ok cool. So basically i need to check to see rather the motor is good or not. With the new motor if i did buy one, would it not come with all of the parts that I would do the rebuild with ? The bushings also?

Also aint that gear plastic? If you pu metal nuts in there would that possibly cause friction and wear out that gear(s)?

Before pulling the motor, check for voltage to the door switch by unscrewing the two screws that hold the switch on and use a test light when you push on the switch up and down. With the key on, if the light goes on then you have power to the switch. If you hear the motor working but a rap rap rap sound, then chances are it's the plastic nubs that have been ground down and the gear is slipping. It could be a bad wire to the motor so again when you do pull the motor, check for power at the electrical plug that goes to the motor.

Either way, if it's just the plastic nubs or if you need a new motor, then do the metal nuts. They will not hurt anything and will not break down like the plastic nubs. Pack the area where the nuts go with grease and also the gear. Also spray some white grease in the channel and on the regulator.

Before pulling the motor, check for voltage to the door switch by unscrewing the two screws that hold the switch on and use a test light when you push on the switch up and down. With the key on, if the light goes on then you have power to the switch. If you hear the motor working but a rap rap rap sound, then chances are it's the plastic nubs that have been ground down and the gear is slipping. It could be a bad wire to the motor so again when you do pull the motor, check for power at the electrical plug that goes to the motor.

Either way, if it's just the plastic nubs or if you need a new motor, then do the metal nuts. They will not hurt anything and will not break down like the plastic nubs. Pack the area where the nuts go with grease and also the gear. Also spray some white grease in the channel and on the regulator.

Thanks guys for the help I will check it out this wknd

Yesterday I took the motor out and looking at how the gear bushings sit in the housing, it was kind of hard for me to see how the nut will seat inside and not move. Does it lie flat or stand up? I just got some 1/4 x 20 nuts today from my job although its the kind that looks like a washer is on top of the nut so will that work? The washer looking thing is not larger than the diameter of the nut just to point out.

Here is what I replied on another forum yesterday after what I did:

took the motor out today and looked at the bushings and they didnt look that bad but 2 of them had started to break down. All 3 of them though as I took them out and looked at them, put them back in and saw how the gear was sitting in and spinning as i spun it with my hand, it didnt appear that the gear was sitting lower in the housing with the bushings in but when i took the bushings out I saw the gear sit down further in the housing. I wanted to put it back together and see how it would do. As it was doing all along, when i hit the down button the window went all the way down but when it gets to the bottom you can hear it making a noise as it wants to keep going down or stuck in the down mode and looking at the motor through the hole in the door or rather the part that the 3 screws secure, it also is moving and I guess because of the motion of the window trying to go down. When I put it up, it goes almost all the way up with about 1 1/2 inches to spare. I can take my hand and pull up on it while pressing the up button and it will come up. It's also going up and down at normal speed, not slow like my pass side has been doing for the past 3 yrs or so. But no issues with the pass side as far as going all the way up or down. I'm just wondering if its probably just the motor and would hate to change the bushings out if it's not going to fix the issue????????//