Any plans for your Stang in 2010?

• Sponsors (?)

yea i know but the thing is if i have a cobra and i wreck it im going to get my money back, if i continue to dump money into my gt and i wreck it im going to get like 5k back...

I hear you on that one but for me I know all the money I put in my car I will never see if I sell it. I know some insurance company's will insure your car with all the mods but I am sure you pay a lot of money.

-Short throw shifter, shift knob and real leather shift boot.
-Stereo to replace POS MACH 460 cd changer
-floor mats
-sub frame connectors
-tires
-Exhaust**

**I'm a complete dumbass on the exhaust system. It is stock now and I'd like something a little more aggressive but not at all annoying. Could someone explain the terminology? I see all this talk of cat-back and x and h pipes and such, I have no friggin idea what the hell you all are talking about and couldn't find any one thread here that explained it all.
Thanks.

I'm doing gears right now. 4.10's. Also doing the trac-lok rebuild. I have everything ripped apart now just waiting for parts. I can't wait til spring to get the car back on the road and see how all of my mods over the winter have improved it. It'll feel good to cruise again.

-Exhaust**

**I'm a complete dumbass on the exhaust system. It is stock now and I'd like something a little more aggressive but not at all annoying. Could someone explain the terminology? I see all this talk of cat-back and x and h pipes and such, I have no friggin idea what the hell you all are talking about and couldn't find any one thread here that explained it all.
Thanks.

Really? I will do my best for you.

Well the X and H pipes are different configurations of exhaust crossover pipes. In the X or H pipe is where you will find the catalytic converters are implanted. The X pipe is a better crossover pipe for total power, but it comes at the cost of being higher pitched, and people like me, and I believe you, don't really want that NASCAR sound. The H pipe on the other hand will free up power, but it has a deeper more mellow tone. The factory cross over pipe is an H-pipe, but it has 4 converters in it which pretty much kill the exhaust tone.

When replacing the crossover ( with an X or H) pipe and the Catback with performance parts, the bulk of the power will be found in the crossover pipe as the factory catback is fairly freeflowing.

The cat back is really just a term that describes the position of the pipe in relation to the catalytic converters and the rear of the car and thus the H or X pipe. This is where in my opinion a huge difference in sound can be found. Yes the other components contribute, but this is the main part when considering the sound. The cat-back (catalytic converter and back pipe) contains the pipes which on solid axle cars goes OVER the rear axle, and on IRS equipped cars like the 03-04 Cobra goes under the rear differential and out the rear of the car, and it also is where the mufflers are welded in. Again my opinion is that the Flowmaster muffler is about the loudest highest drone muffler available, and pretty annoying, but my personal favorite is the MagnaFlow muffler, NOT THE MAGNAPACK, but the MAGNAFLOW, this muffler incorporates a straight through design which maximizes power gains, and allows the exhaust to escape with very little restriction, but in a very deep and low volume level. The Flowmaster has chambers in the muffler which makes the sound and air trying to escape bounce around in and create more noise and becomes more irritating.

All of this is in relation to the 4.6 SOHC motor, and does not necessarily apply to the 5.0 or DOHC 4.6 or any other motor for that matter. I have tried a number of combinations over the last 10 years, and truly I believe that for the 4.6 the Off Road H-pipe and MAGNAFLOW Catback is the best choice for Mustang exhaust.

Well thank you very much sir. That's exactly what I was looking for and couldn't get pieced together. I'll have to check out some clips of the combo you recommended. I'm surprised about the flowmaster comments though. i see a lot of positive feedback on them. I figured they were just a level above stock sound. Hey, thanks again.:nice:

For the 97 GT: I have PI cams waiting to go on and it needs a water pump. Then, I'll clean and detail it when the weather is warmer.

For the 88 2.3: I just had the head shaved for 10:1 compression. Should work well with high boost and E85 ;) I've also done a little weight loss and a few other clean up things. Then, I'll take her to the track. 11s or bust. :D

detail deffinitly... but on my list are struts, h&r springs, motor mounts, strut mounts, c/c plates if money permits.. then ill scratch the strut mount off my list.., new right rear caliper bracket., fuel filter, plugs, service tranny with mercon v and filter, finish stereo system and lastly hopefully get a cat back and mid pipe

For the 97 GT: I have PI cams waiting to go on and it needs a water pump. Then, I'll clean and detail it when the weather is warmer.

For the 88 2.3: I just had the head shaved for 10:1 compression. Should work well with high boost and E85 ;) I've also done a little weight loss and a few other clean up things. Then, I'll take her to the track. 11s or bust. :D

Completely off topic, but,

What kind/size of Nittos do you run on the 2.3? I'm contemplating putting a set of drag radials on my stock wheels for track duty.

I'm just running the 555R 245-45-17's on 17" GT wheels. Most people have trouble hooking them, but you still have to be gentle. They work GREAT with an automatic. I can get consistent 1.8's without traction problems and an occasonal 1.7 60'.

Completely off topic, but,

What kind/size of Nittos do you run on the 2.3? I'm contemplating putting a set of drag radials on my stock wheels for track duty.

I'm just running the 555R 245-45-17's on 17" GT wheels. Most people have trouble hooking them, but you still have to be gentle. They work GREAT with an automatic. I can get consistent 1.8's without traction problems and an occasonal 1.7 60'.

Thanks man. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. My granddad has the regular 555s (275-40/17) on his Mach (auto), and it REALLY hooks. So I was hoping the same size 555Rs on my stock rims would hook my car (also automatic) after the SC install. Looks like they probably should.

UPS is going to be delivering my MGW shifter today. Yeah!! Im converting my interior from grey to all black. I'll probably put some 3.73 in and for sure I am going to install subframe connectors and a strut tower brace.

My plans for 2010 so far are to overhaul the suspension so it rides like new again. I'll be doing springs & shocks along with most of the front suspension once I gather all the parts I need. I'll finish up the rear suspension and a trac-lok rebuild later in the spring.

I'm planning on replacing the worn steering wheel wrap and getting a nice leather shifter and parking brake boots soon.

I may also put some hi-flow cats on. I like the way it sounds, but it is slightly obnoxious and could stand to be toned down just a hair. The exhaust doesn't smell too bad, but it wouldn't hurt to clean it up a little for those long waits in the drive-thru. Plus, I'd feel more socially responsible :D

Beyond that I don't have any big immediate plans. I want to replace the front seats with something nicer and more comfortable - I'd like something factory looking so maybe some S197 seats or some Recaro-style seats out of something else but I don't know if I'll feel like spending the time, energy and money on that this year or not. I'm not really looking to do anything to the motor other than keep it in good running order - I'm happy enough with what power it does have and would rather save my money and sanity for things other than chasing the next few horsepower. If I need to replace the timing set at some point soon, I might take a look at some hotter cams but I don't want to go much further than that if I don't have to.

I'll be lookin' to supercharge my car, hopefully. I'll probably start a million threads all about the same thing just to make sure everything goes right. I've never supercharged a car before and have had bad experiences with situations like this

Hopefully c/c plates, and some adjustable shocks and struts, and maybe some deep dish rear wheels.

I also just spent over $100 on some nice detailing stuff from Chemical Guys and I'm dying to use it, but I have been so damn busy with school that I haven't even gotten a chance to wash the car in over 6 weeks.

Busy with school, slow with work, so not a whole bunch. I'd like to get these knocked off the list though:

Window switch (Either Summit, or Harris Speed Works. Would like to spring for HSW)
Purge (Harris Speed Works)
Coil packs (???)
Shocks/struts (Strange 10 way adjustables)
One hell of an interior/exterior/under hood detail
Fill wing holes on trunk
Tint
Rear brakes (just need pads and tool)

and hopefully get a chance to go to the track and spray on drag radials, and not break anything and click off a 12.xx pass. It could be 12.99999999999 for all I care.