Any Power Steering Gurus Here?????

yeloxr7

Apr 18, 2005
I have a 69 Cougar 351W/FMX with power steering (at least I used to have power steering). I have replaced all the hydraulic components and have switched back and forth between two control valves, but there is no assist in the system, especially bad at low speeds. The valve-to-ram hoses are routed correctly and everything is new or recently replaced or recently rebuilt. I changed the control valve (again) yesterday and when I started up the engine to bleed the system, there wasn't the customary groan from the pump that is usually heard when there is air in the system. So what could my problam be? Bad pump, valve or ram? I've been dealing with this for a long time and getting really frustrated. I'm about ready to try another rack conversion (tried two different Flaming River raks with no success due to fit problems) but want to stay with the factory setup because I invested in a Borgeson gearbox.

• Sponsors (?)

Is the belt on the pump loose? If that checks out, the next step would be to pull a line loose and put it in a bucket to see if the fluid is flowing. Start at the pressure hose under the car to see if the pump is actually working. If fluid comes out, then pull the return hose at the pump. If nothing is coming out then you know your problem is in the ram or control valve,etc... Be careful while under the car since the engine will need to be running!

sounds like the pump to me as well. neither a bad valve or ram would produce the results you are getting, instead you would get erratic power or lots of leaking if for some reason the ram was bypassing. we can rule the valve out since you've changed with different units already, which leaves the ram and the pump.

like i said already the ram will not give the problems you are describing, it either works or it leaks. change the pump, or at the very least flush the power steering system with about a cup of lacquer thinner to free any blockage that may be present. the lacquer thinner will evaporate with use so you don't have to worry about removing it. just add it the reservoir and run it. if it starts working after that there was some kind of blockage in the system, and may still be some trash as well, you can run an auto trans in-line filter on the return feed betweeen the pump and the valve if you feel so inclined

Clark said:
One more thing to try is to remove the cover off the control valve and adjust the screw under it. I am not sure which way is what but you should be able to figure it out :shrug:

You mean to torque it to 10 lb/ft then back off 1/4 turn? Been there, done that.

I'm going to replace all the "rebuilt" stuff with a set of old original components and see what happens.

I replaced the pump with a 35-year-old original, filled up the system and fired the car up. I now have normal assist when turning to the left, but none when turning to the right.

"Try going further than the standard settings to see if that helps."

I saw an article in a "How to Restore Your Mustang" book (HP Books) about rebuilding the control valve that detailed the adjustment process and it said to go a half turn in one direction or the other to make the valve operate correctly. I was going to buy the book but didn't because I wanted to check & see if I already had it at home. Didn't have it so I will go back to Borders at lunch & pick it up if they still have it.

Thanks again all who posted for help and advice.

yeloxr7 said:
I replaced the pump with a 35-year-old original, filled up the system and fired the car up. I now have normal assist when turning to the left, but none when turning to the right.

"Try going further than the standard settings to see if that helps."

I saw an article in a "How to Restore Your Mustang" book (HP Books) about rebuilding the control valve that detailed the adjustment process and it said to go a half turn in one direction or the other to make the valve operate correctly. I was going to buy the book but didn't because I wanted to check & see if I already had it at home. Didn't have it so I will go back to Borders at lunch & pick it up if they still have it.

Thanks again all who posted for help and advice.

sounds like a control valve now, more likely a blockage in the valve

I finally got this fixed. I discovered that there were a couple of burrs on the spool valve inside the control valve that made it kind of stick. So I smoothed out the spool with some 1500-grit sandpaper and made sure the spool moved smoothly in the valve bore. I also made sure the valve was clean internally. NOw the assist works in both directions.

Thanks again to all for help and suggestions!!!!