Any RWD economy cars?

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
I've been thinking about trading my truck for something that gets 30+mpg, but Im not too fond of wrong-wheel-drive cars. Anybody know if there's any NEW cars that are RWD and get around 30mpg? I can't get a Miata or MR2 because they wouldn't be practical for work.

Right now Im considering a Mazda3. Anybody know anything about these cars?

• Sponsors (?)

I was driving one for a while, incredible gas mileage on them. The center console is too busy. On the automatic, the sport shift option is nice, but completely uneffective if you think it'll help you get anywhere quicker. It's very quiet inside, no outside roadnoise. The factory stereo is nice, but I think they can be blown fairly easily. That's what I know about them. I would say do it. :nice:

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Mazda 3's are rear wheel drive? How much mpg does your truck get?

No, but that's about the best I can find out of the FWD cars. Im getting 22mpg on average from my truck, 23-24 on the interstate.

Chris, what's the Red/Green conversion? Is it from the Red Green show? I havn't seen that for a long time, I'll have it try to catch it sometime now. :)

Aaron, it sounds like a good little car! I'll definitely be going with a 5-speed, and if the factory radio can be swapped out I have a nice system I can put in it. :nice:

Low-5.0 said:
Chris, what's the Red/Green conversion? Is it from the Red Green show? I havn't seen that for a long time, I'll have it try to catch it sometime now. :)

yep, they took a FWD van, and basically just moved the steering and gas pedal and all that to the other end of it, lol. I haven't seen that show in so long. :rlaugh:

Low-5.0 said:
I've been thinking about trading my truck for something that gets 30+mpg, but Im not too fond of wrong-wheel-drive cars. Anybody know if there's any NEW cars that are RWD and get around 30mpg? I can't get a Miata or MR2 because they wouldn't be practical for work.

Right now Im considering a Mazda3. Anybody know anything about these cars?
you could get a stripped down 02-05 BMW 3 series for around 20-30k.

I was thinking about the idea of a beater 4-banger with the prices of gas being what they are. It would keep the miles on the stang down also.

Don't 2wd, 4-cyl 5-spd rangers get decent mpg? The utility factor of a truck would also be nice.

Scott_95GT said:
I was thinking about the idea of a beater 4-banger with the prices of gas being what they are. It would keep the miles on the stang down also.

Don't 2wd, 4-cyl 5-spd rangers get decent mpg? The utility factor of a truck would also be nice.

My cousin gets about 25-28mpg from his, but he's always complaining about how slow it is.

bimmertech said:
you could get a stripped down 02-05 BMW 3 series for around 20-30k.

Just checked those out online, and it's waaaayyy out of my price range. Im looking for a NEW car for under 20K, preferably in the 17K-18K range.

They are sweet cars tho. :)

Edit: Looked up some used one's on autotrader and they're much more affordable. Couldn't find any good one's tho. :(

Should I look at the hatchback or sedan Mazda3's?
pho_gallery_MZ3_ext15_popup.jpg

pho_gallery_MZ3_ext5_popup.jpg

Definately the hatch. You do know that it is basically the same car as the Focus, right? I'm not sure about the stereo, but it is really clustered in there. I think the stereo may be tied into the climate control much like the RX8. I'm not sure though.
Branbon

ROLLIN5.0 said:
Definately the hatch. You do know that it is basically the same car as the Focus, right? I'm not sure about the stereo, but it is really clustered in there. I think the stereo may be tied into the climate control much like the RX8. I'm not sure though.
Branbon

Im not a big fan of the focus, I think the 3 looks muuuch better. Plus it comes with a 50K mile warranty standard(100K mile warranty if I buy it from Ricart's in Columbus :nice: )

I saw one on cardomain with an aftermarket stereo so I know it can be done. I just don't know how much work it would be to do it. :(

S/CBlack95GT said:
The V6 Lincoln LS gets 26+. You could get one on the Family Plan.

I'll check into it, but Im looking for a 5-speed and I doubt those are offered with a manual.

Edit: Starting at $32K! :eek: I could get a BMW 3 series for that!

I know I drove a mazda 6 wagon and a mazda 6 coupe last monght... it handled horribls so I doubt the mazda 3 is much better... before you buy get on the highway and sway the wheel man... dealers loved when i did that.. especially at 75mph... but you gotta know what you are getting into before you start right?