Any RWD economy cars?

• Sponsors (?)

S/CBlack95GT said:
That's the MSRP. My Explorer had the same MSRP, but I got it for $22,500 on the Family Plan. The V8 with the 5 speed would be a lot of fun.

Im not looking for a fun car....Well, yeah I guess I am :), but gas mileage is more important than fun at this point.

Anyways, according to Lincoln's website the family plan price is $28K + an additional $1K off so it's $27K. Even if I can get it down to $22K I still can't afford it unless I get over $16K for my truck. The last dealer I went to offered me $12,500 for it :notnice:

I thank you guys for the suggestions, but it looks like Im not gonna be able to afford what Im looking for. :( So, anymore opinions on the mazda3? Fun to drive? Gas mileage? Comfortable seats? etc, etc. I've heard they handle very well and they are a blast to drive. My cousin said it kinda reminded him of his old geo storm, which was surprisingly fun to drive.

Low-5.0 said:
I thought about that, but they don't make them anymore do they? :scratch:

Nope last year was 98. The best years are 95-98 (might also be 94) they are the dohc motors. My freind has a 95 with a full exhaust and its one awesome little car to toss around. Its 5 speed, has stock 4.08 gears, and handles better in stock form than my car ever could even with modified suspension :( . I didnt think you could drift with 155hp but in this car you sure can :D .

you can get a used 240sx for cheap, or an AE86 for even cheeper. They are great cars that get good milege, and will run FOREVER. as for new cars, I would stay away from BMW, I had a 330ci and it was always having problems. I think that the mazda 3 is a decent car, but knowing that it is a sister car to the focus scares me a bit (focus had more recalls than almost any other car). I would look into subaru. You can pick up a 2.5rs impreza for about 22k new, or a legacy for a little more. they are both awd too. You could also look into a saab. They have a great motor (ecotec) and are available turbocharged.

yeah id go for a 240sx. if i didnt have a mustang, thats the car id get. a kid from highschool swapped the engine out for a turbo motor from a japanese 240sx (aka slivia). this car is QUICK and it handles like its on rails. you could get a low mileage one for 12K maybe.

Ram000 said:
spfff... 22-24 mpg in a truck? what kind of truck do you drive? wish my ram got that much... p.o.s. 3.7L v6 got like 15!!! it was killing me, so now i'm driving my mootang gt, hehe.

It's a 4x4 Ranger 4.0L 5-speed. I drive about 35%/65% city/highway, so that's why I get such good mileage from it.

I spent a couple hours this morning looking for cars online. I found out all the RWD cars are either sports cars, or luxury cars. I think a V-6 Mustang would probably be about the cheapest Im gonna get RWD for.

I also looked for used 240's on ebay and autotrader, but I couldn't find any 5-speeds with low miles.

I was going to suggest a 240SX earlier as well, but for one it's not a new car, which was one of your requirements, and second, a 240SX probably isn't going to beat your 24mpg from your truck. I drove a 240SX that had around 40k on it for a while, and if you drive hard it can get as low at 19mpg. That little sucker will burn some fuel. The best I ever got was about 25, and it was a 5-speed. Oh, and the guy that owned it had the cat removed, and 2.5" exhaust on it, which should improve mileage. Hell, the 2.0/5-speed Probe I just got for a gas saver only gets 27-30 (30 on all highway). 24mpg is pretty freakin good. I'm not sure making a $10,000+ investment in an attempt to improve that would be a good decision. If your going for strictly gas saver, get an older 4 banger for $3k, or less. There's a lot of them out there, and you can find some in good shape. It will take you long enough to make that back with your 2-3mpg improvement as it is. If your just itching to get a new car, and are using gas mileage as an excuse, get what you really want!
Brandon

The 24mpg from my truck is from 100% interstate driving. Im averaging around 22mpg, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I've done the math, and if I can get what I want from my truck I can keep my payments close to $300 a month. I may be paying more there, but I'll still be saving money from the better gas mileage if I get around 30mpg average.

Plus Im starting to miss driving a fun sporty car every day. :p

94_Teal_GT said:
Are now considering a used vehicle? If so, I'm going to go out on a limb, at the risk of serious flaming, but doesn't the 6spd LS1 Z-28/Trans Am get 28mpg on the highway? The 6cyl gets 31mpg....just a thought.....:shrug:

Yea...but just like the vette. They both are rated at that high of gas mileage but who is driving them? When you buy a car like that...you are gonna want to stay in the gas pedal.

Plus for the extra cost of insurance...you wont be saving anything at the end of the day most likely :shrug:

How much are hybrids goin now a days? How about a bike? Just tryin to throw out ideas.

94_Teal_GT said:
Are now considering a used vehicle? If so, I'm going to go out on a limb, at the risk of serious flaming, but doesn't the 6spd LS1 Z-28/Trans Am get 28mpg on the highway? The 6cyl gets 31mpg....just a thought.....:shrug:

I've drove my brother's camaro before and I didn't really like it. Besides, I checked out the S197 section here and there's guys claiming 28-30mpg on the highway from '05 GT's. I've thought about going with an 05 V-6, but it's got the same engine that I have in my truck so I don't see my gas mileage getting much better.

I've decided that today's new car lineup sucks. Nobody makes and affordable RWD car, unless you buy a small truck. :fuss:

In my endless online searching, I found out the base Acura RSX cost's about the same as a Mazda3 with a few options. Should I look at the RSX, or just stick with the 3?

THe 05 GT's are rated at 29 on the highway, saw one on the lot when were were looking for our Ford 500.... altho at that point you may as well keep the truck since $$ wise it is tough to justify a new car on mileage alone...

Now if you want to look used go for a late 70's early 80's 6 cyl car... with highway gears they have to be capable of upper 20's with an O/D trans or highway gears..

I would get a new '06 Civic or Accord. I drove both last night, but I don't know which one I would choose, probably the Civic.
Honda redesigned the Civics for '06 and they get 30/40 mpg now with 140hp. You can get an LX (no sunroof) for under $18K. If you wait until early next year, you could get an Si (same motor as RSX-TypeS with Limited slip) for under $20K.

If you really don't want a Honda, get the hatch Mazda3.

I've got 21K on my truck right now, I really don't want to trade that for a 100+K 240sx. I looked online and the lowest mileage I could find was 60K but it was an auto. The rest of them had 100K or more.

I looked at the new civic online.....:puke:
Im sure it'll look better in person, but I don't like it at all from the pics. If I don't get anything this weekend, I'll take a look at the new Si when they are available. I do like the older (99-02ish) Si's, so maybe the new one's will be ok.

The RSX is not a choice now. I got an insurance quote for over $2300 per year for the base RSX, but the Mazda3 is only $1560 a year.

What about the Scion Tc? Anybody know anything about them? They're about the same price as the Mazda, and insurance is close too.