Any San Diego guys here impacted by the fire? (and tech Qs)

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
I know this belongs in talk, but it deserves a bigger audience.

Does anyone know of any forum members impacted by the fires in SoCal? Post what you know and it would be cool if we could do a little something for them.

ummmmmmm...has anyone ever done an EFI swap on an early Mustang?

errrrr.....what do I need to convert my I6 to a V8?

There. Now it's a tech thread. :D :D :D

• Sponsors (?)

I'm lucky to not to be directly affected by the fires except the ashes in the air. I do have a bunch of friends and acquaintances that have been affected. A lot of my friends were evacuated from the san diego area.
What were you thinking of doing?

I'm lucky to not to be directly affected by the fires except the ashes in the air. I do have a bunch of friends and acquaintances that have been affected. A lot of my friends were evacuated from the san diego area.
What were you thinking of doing?
Yeah, we've got ashes and smoke (not too much of either) up here in Ojai/Ventura as well from the fires over towards Santa Clarita.

What gave me the idea was the newsletter I got from the Modular Fords forums, where one of their members lost his house. They're raffling off this amazing '03 Terminator motor 1/4 scale model and some other stuff to benefit his family.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94632

Alot of my customers and trucking companys

are being affected out there. Couple of them them havent been able to run their air conditioners in their buildings cause it fills em full of smoke.

and your I-6 to V-8 conv, just buy a v-8 car, much easier and lot cheaper.

:0)

We have had alot of our customers evacuated. We had to move a 55 crown vic being built for Rich's brother. Stored a few other cars for customer. One had 25k just in paint. :( We keep blowing the ash off, but it keeps coming back, even inside.
So far, no customers have lost a home. Alot of close calls though. Including his neighbor loosing his house, but not him.

I like v-8 swaps. :)

fire

I had to evacuate at 3am as the flames came rushing over the hill across from my house. We have six cars and two drivers so I knew things would be left behind. We packed up photos, clothes, important papers and my computer. We took our daily drivers but after we left I decided we should take the fastback and park it a nearby mall. I would rather it get stolen than melted. When we came back to get the fastback the fire had advanced down the hill and was less than 1/4 mile away. I took a look at the other two classics in the garage (and $$$ of tools) and closed the garage door.

Two days later when we got home everything was o.k.! I can stand in my yard and point in almost any direction and the fire was within 200 yards of our house. Neighbors lost a guest house, boat and two motorcyles. I can see 5 destroyed homes from my deck. There may be more nearby. I can't believe how lucky we were.

One neighbor stayed behind. He was foolish. Our lives aren't worth anything in my house or garage.

Oh, the 65 coupe I left was an I-6 to V8 conversion. The 67 is undergoing an I-6 to Mod 4.6 conversion (that's the hard way to convert to fuel injection).

Yeah, we've got ashes and smoke (not too much of either) up here in Ojai/Ventura as well from the fires over towards Santa Clarita.

What gave me the idea was the newsletter I got from the Modular Fords forums, where one of their members lost his house. They're raffling off this amazing '03 Terminator motor 1/4 scale model and some other stuff to benefit his family.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94632

I'm a modularfords member and will buy a ticket. I'd be willing to help here too if someone needs it and we do something similar.

I had to evacuate at 3am as the flames came rushing over the hill across from my house. We have six cars and two drivers so I knew things would be left behind. We packed up photos, clothes, important papers and my computer. We took our daily drivers but after we left I decided we should take the fastback and park it a nearby mall. I would rather it get stolen than melted. When we came back to get the fastback the fire had advanced down the hill and was less than 1/4 mile away. I took a look at the other two classics in the garage (and $$$ of tools) and closed the garage door.

Two days later when we got home everything was o.k.! I can stand in my yard and point in almost any direction and the fire was within 200 yards of our house. Neighbors lost a guest house, boat and two motorcyles. I can see 5 destroyed homes from my deck. There may be more nearby. I can't believe how lucky we were.

One neighbor stayed behind. He was foolish. Our lives aren't worth anything in my house or garage.

Oh, the 65 coupe I left was an I-6 to V8 conversion. The 67 is undergoing an I-6 to Mod 4.6 conversion (that's the hard way to convert to fuel injection).

Glad to hear you're OK. You're right, things can be replaced, lives can not. My brother lives in Chula Vista and evacuated on Wed. He was able to return home on Thurs without any damage. Hopefully they can get this fire under control before too much more destruction. Fire and Santa Annas are a bad combo.

I'd also be interested in helping anyway possible. Best of luck to everyone in that area!

We got evacuated (from valley center) monday morning about 4am. Hung out in the Escondido Home Depot Parking lot in the motorhome til yesterday afternoon. VERY HAPPY to be back home with no real damage except for a nice smokey flavored house. I had to leave the Stang in the garage! yickes!!! Other than very little sleep for three nights everything is O.K.
ps - if you see a ...Firefighter/PoliceOfficer/National Guardsman... be nice they saved my bacon and a whole lot of other people's as well.
These men ran in when everyone else was running out!!!

I have a brother-in-law who lives in SD. Several of the houses in his area burned. He said most of the people there evacuated but he stayed. He said he spent one whole night on top of his house with a water hose.

I played "hope my house doesn't get burned down" a couple years ago. I stayed in the house, too.....ran out of easy secret ways to get around the CHP roadblocks when coming home from work. Could have just about opened a window and peed on the flames when the fire came through, but I didn't have enough in me. :D

Brings back unpleasant memories.

I learned the difference between real Fire Departments and the Forest Service in that ordeal. FDs put fires out; the Forest Service lets them burn.

I don't usually have the ambition to do a 6 to 8 swap, so I just look for V8 cars.