Any supercharged v6's?

SilverBullet99

Feb 19, 2004
there's a guy who i always see at my movie theatre who has a black v6 stang (01 or 02 im not sure) thats supercharged! thats insane! u can hear it comin down the street. i hear the vortec supercharges they have for stangs can push almost 300hp outa the v6's. is there anyone out there that has a SC in their v6? if so, have u ever ran it in the quarter?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a V2-SQ on my '00. It makes a nice little whistle. :) I have yet to dyno or track it, but based on what others have reported with identical setups, I'd say I am looking @ roughly 235rwhp and high 13s with a little practice.

The exact same setup but with a P1SC will make in the 275-285 rwhp range b/c of the I/C and a few extra psi of boost.

im getting an 00 v6 supercharged mustang on 4/26, cant wait! heres what it has...

1. Procharger P1SC Intercooled Supercharger w/ 11psi boost.
2. MAC cat-back exhaust system
3. '99 Lightning 80mm Mass Air Meter
4. 38# fuel injectors
5. 255 lph fuel pump
6. SPEC stage 1 heavy duty clutch
7. Autometer A-pillar gauge pod with Autometer Lunar series Boost and Air/Fuel ratio gauges
8. Autologic Chip custom tuned by Panhandle Performance
9. 2001 Cobra polished 17x8" wheels with BFGoodrich Comp T/A ZR rated tires
10. Fresh tuneup with Bosch Plug wires and NGK iridium spark plugs.

im getting a mac hpipe for it as well as a steeda tri ax shifter, right now the cars got 289wrph, torque im not sure about, but its dyno'ed at 289wrhp, the guy said he hasnt ran it but he hears it should be high 12's low 13's, i cant wait to hear that whistle, he says it sounds like a jet at the light

The 11psi kit from procharger is roughly ~$3000. I believe the vortec is a bit cheaper because it doesn't come with an IC or some of the other components like fuel injectors and MAF, etc. Plus you have to think about install if your not going to do it yourself and a good tune for a few hundred bucks. In total your looking around 4 to 5 k, maybe more if your bottom end doesn't hold up.

11 PSI Procharger is $2888 shipped. on a 99+ you will be looking at around 300 HP at the crank, but if you research it more, you can do a few small tricks to get 300 HP at the wheels. A cam, P&P intakes, 70mm TB, 90mm MAF, 42# Injectors, 1.8 Roller Rockers and a good dyno tune.

because of unexpected medical expenses, I wont be supercharging my car till 2005, hopefully within the next few months ill order my injectors and TB and install that cam and RR's that are under my bed, then save up and order the SC in the spring.

Installing is very easy, so paying some joker to do it is ridiculous

GREENBIOCH said:
The 11psi kit from procharger is roughly ~$3000. I believe the vortec is a bit cheaper because it doesn't come with an IC or some of the other components like fuel injectors and MAF, etc. Plus you have to think about install if your not going to do it yourself and a good tune for a few hundred bucks. In total your looking around 4 to 5 k, maybe more if your bottom end doesn't hold up.

the bottom end will hold up. the 3.8 is beefer than a 5.0 bottom end and about equal to a 351 windsor. you can always get a Morana Main girdle to strengthen the bottom end but it`s not necessary unless you go 450+hp.

the main weakness in the stock 3.8 is the rod bolts,pistons and lifter valley.

i`ve had trouble with neither after 40,000 miles with my ATI 11 psi 98 3.8

i`m around 260rwhp (257 to be exact) but i have done a little extra to get there.

cobra232 said:
...the 3.8 is beefer than a 5.0 bottom end...

I know a few guys in the 5.0 forums that have cranked out as much as 12-14 psi from their Vortechs (non-intercooled, miind you) on stock bottom ends with no problems. Try doing that on a 3.8 and kaboom.

I know the bottom end on the 89-93 3.8's were beefier because of the factory SC on the Tbirds. But on these new mustang 3.8's are bottom ends are not made like those were, I have heard of a couple running in the 300+ on the stock bottom end, but you need a good tune and some cash put aside to be prepared for when it does go ka-put, because it will eventually! I would have to agree with atlblue2000 we can't take the abuse a 5.0 could, but we can still take some abuse, just be cautious when you start approaching 300 rwhp cause those con rods are gonna hate you!

yeah, the pre-93 5.0s had the benefit of forged pistons from the factory so they could definitely handle more punishment than our V6 ponies and even moreso than the hyper pistons that the 93-95 5.0s were outfitted with. As was said earlier (i think it was said earlier, anyways :) ) alot of it is in the tune.

stock 3.8 rods are not all that bad. our pistons are the main problem and rod bolts. i`ve seen some 3.8`s with 18 psi on a stock rotating assembly with a proper tune last along time. if you start to detonate then byebye pistons. the 3.8 crank is what i was refering to when i said beefy. afterall 351windsor rods can be used in a 3.8 if the small end is bushed to the correct size for 3.8 piston pins. the stock rod bolts can stretch and even as little as .001" means bad news. ARP replacements are a good idea.