Any thoughts on this engine combination?

1991 LX Coupe (original owner w/ about 92,000 miles)

CHP 347
10.5:1 compression
Victor Jr. o-ringed heads
Crane cam: duration = 232/244 @ .050 lift = .563”/.595” 112 LSA
New BBK SSI-Series Intake w/ 75mm throttle body opening
30lb fuel injectors
Pro-M 95mm MAS
BBK 1 5/8” long tube headers
Dr. Gas 2.5” x-pipe
Walker-Dynomax 2.5” exhaust (old but I like the sound)
MSD distributor, box, & coil
Custom tune by Diablosport

Transmission – undecided (currently a T-5)

Rear end: Auburn pro-posi 3.55 w/ 31-spline axles

So how does this engine combination sound? This is a third car so I'm not worried about how it sounds, gas mileage, etc. Any ideas on horsepower potential?

Thanks,
KB

• Sponsors (?)

KB91Notch347 said:
1991 LX Coupe (original owner w/ about 92,000 miles)

CHP 347
10.5:1 compression
Victor Jr. o-ringed heads
Crane cam: duration = 232/244 @ .050 lift = .563”/.595” 112 LSA
New BBK SSI-Series Intake w/ 75mm throttle body opening
30lb fuel injectors
Pro-M 95mm MAS
BBK 1 5/8” long tube headers
Dr. Gas 2.5” x-pipe
Walker-Dynomax 2.5” exhaust (old but I like the sound)
MSD distributor, box, & coil
Custom tune by Diablosport

Transmission – undecided (currently a T-5)

Rear end: Auburn pro-posi 3.55 w/ 31-spline axles

So how does this engine combination sound? This is a third car so I'm not worried about how it sounds, gas mileage, etc. Any ideas on horsepower potential?

Thanks,
KB

Let me ask a couple quick question..

Why do you want to 0-ring the heads?

Also maybe the cam is a little small for a stroker if you are not daily driving it.. I would also think about the mass air.. seems a little big.. and I like 1-3/4 exhaust with the loarger cubes..

perkys stang said:
Let me ask a couple quick question..

Why do you want to 0-ring the heads?

Also maybe the cam is a little small for a stroker if you are not daily driving it.. I would also think about the mass air.. seems a little big.. and I like 1-3/4 exhaust with the loarger cubes..

I already have the heads. Re the cam, it is rated for 340+ c.i., 10.0 - 11.5:1 compression, and 3,000 - 6,5000 RPMs so I thought it would be a good match. I never imagined someone would think that was a small cam. The cam I have now is 222/226 @ .050 and .542" lift. It ran 11.80's all day in a '88GT drag only car.

I thought the same on the MAS.

By the way, I still have a/c, power steering, etc.

Thanks for your input!!!

I wouldn't o ring the heads. I'd rather blow a head gasket than fugde up my heads. I think of them as fuses. Plus it's damn expensive. Also personally I'd go with 106* or so of LSA. Especially with a 5 spd.

giddyup306 said:
I wouldn't o ring the heads. I'd rather blow a head gasket than fugde up my heads. I think of them as fuses. Plus it's damn expensive. Also personally I'd go with 106* or so of LSA. Especially with a 5 spd.

I already have the heads so it's too late. They were on the 347 when I bought it.

Any thoughts on horsepower potential?

Thanks.

CoupedUp93 said:
nice setup, easily 400 hp to the flywheel, hope your not thinking about a blower with that much compression. that cam is plenty big enough for your setup a stock 5.0L cam is .444" of lift at the valves.

Definitely no blower or turbo. The previous owner of the motor was going to run nitrous but never got around to it. I was hoping for way more than 400HP at the rear wheels.

Thanks for your input.

KB

Zmann said:
your loseing 20 hp with that cam and your headers are to small I'd recomend a minimum of 1 3/4'' headers!

Am I "losing 20 hp with that cam" because it is too small? This is not an all out race car. I will take note of the header size recommendation. Any thoughts on how much horsepower this combo would make?

Thanks.

P.S. I like your website!

As you prolly already know the cam is the brains of the mechanical operation. It is advertised/spec'd to run between 3-6.5K right. So now you have to put pieces together that will compliment that range right. :nice:

Well the cam isn't too big, the gears (3.55) are too small for the power band the cam and heads will produce. The car is going to be a poop-stick down low and the gears will detract from your sotp feel. The other issues have already been mentioned: maf and header tube diameter.

The other thing is to wait a month until MMFF has tested the BBK and put it in print. BBK seems to advertise it as more of a torquey intake, so if it restricts flow above 6K it isn't going to compliment the combo. Last thing you want is manifolding determining your power potential. :nice:

I would guess that the combo should produce between 450-500 flywheel.

Seem's like a really good combo to me.... Except for the T-5... you've got to have a stronger transmission to back up all that power. You may want to take a shovel with you to pick up all the pieces if your thinking of sticking with a T-5.
Instead of blowing up your good T-5 which will eventualy occur, sell it before you wreck it and use the money to help purchase a Tremec 5 Spd.

Shon

408stroker5.0 said:
Seem's like a really good combo to me.... Except for the T-5... you've got to have a stronger transmission to back up all that power. You may want to take a shovel with you to pick up all the pieces if your thinking of sticking with a T-5.
Instead of blowing up your good T-5 which will eventualy occur, sell it before you wreck it and use the money to help purchase a Tremec 5 Spd.

Shon

I think I may be getting a g-force upgraded T-5 along with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.

Thanks for your input.