Any thoughts or comments on the Possability of a new Bronco?

Gummi Bear said:
Supposedly it is designed to be in the sub $20K price range. It's based on the Escape platform, making it a unibody (Strike 1) It has a twerpy little engine with a disappointing torque curve (why they added the nitrous - Strike 2) It has IFS and IRS (whoever decided that was ever a good idea in a truck, needs a swift kick to the junk - Strike 3)

Trucks need to be trucks, not tall cars.

This is how the Bronco should look
P1010023.jpg
I agree with you 100%.

• Sponsors (?)

Edbert said:
Minor correction and nit-picking there...

IFS/IRS are both more capable of handling rough terrain than SFS/SRS, ever looked underneath the (real) Hummer?

For consumer class vehicles (the H2 is a prime example of this) you are of course correct. The major manufacturers see true offroaders as a minor nich market when compared to the millions of soccer-moms who are buying the SUVs today. They're also killing the Jeep with the loss of the solid axles, ironically enough shortly after bringing back the frame (due to complaints by enthusiast groups). We (the Mustang community) saved the v8-powered RWD Mustang back in 1986 from becoming FWD (Probe), maybe if enough people sign petitions or write letters FoMoCo will give us a "real" offroad vehicle, although I doubt it. I currently own Fords "best" offroad vehicle (2004 FX4) and let me tell you, it aint a serious offroader at all!

Not an argument, just a note:

Hummers (H1, Humvee, whatever buzz word is associated with it this week) is a pretty unique design all in itself. It has a IFS and IRS, which were only decided upon to meet the new requirements set by the military to increase ground clearance. They did OK, but still broke a lot of parts. In comes the Portal boxes, borrowed from the likes of Mercedes and Volvo who have been using them for ages (i.e. - Unimog), it is simply a gear reduction box (typically 2:1) at the end of the axle, which allowed them to run the normal diff, and also as an added benefit it increases ground clearance further than with just a straight axle. IMO - portals are super cool, and that's one of the big selling points of the original Hummer. Without them, you'd only have an oversized grocery cart.

With Hummers starting to be liquidated from government stock, there are a few IFS/IRS rigs starting to show up in rockcrawling and desert racing venues using Hummer parts and pieces. We'll see how they hold up, interesting designs, and I couldn't imagine how much engineering and time it would take to build one up. We'll see what the future brings, for now, I'll stick with straight axles. :D

I like the new concept. I think they will build it with the Serious On-Roader in mind though. That is OK for me. I would never go buy a new vehicle to go beat up on the trails. There are plenty of old rusty POSs for that around. I guess I am just the kind of person that likes to keep a nice vehicle nice for as long as I can. I still park my 96 F150 in BFE so I don't get dinged (even though there is not much paint left inside the box). I hope they build it with at least decent quality and low price in mind. :nice: :nice:

Woah

Ok, wow that is an odd looking Bronco. It looks like the mini version of a hummer :D. I guess it would be good for off roading and stuff like that, but I don't think Pak would take it off road.

Where would you go off roading, thru the manufacturing part of the Timberland Factory right? :shrug: Oh yeah, that would sit reaaal well with the boss.... :nonono:

It reminds me of the Honda Element....ugh, very boxy! :notnice:

TireSmoknWindsr said:
Actually I must argue...it's capable of a smoother ride but it cant handle more stress than your general straight axle most of the time. It is for those that want to ride down a farm road w/o feeling every possum carcass and gravel in the road. But when you are really wheelin' independent suspension aint worth crap hardly...I know many will argue about the TTB on the Fords and I will say they are pretty tough but straight axles are what ppl want that want a 4wd to use it. Anyone who wants IFS/IRS in something going offroad hasnt done any offroading to know.
I think you missed the part where I said CONSUMER class vehicles are more capable with solids in front and back, or perhaps I did not communicate well. The really high end vehicles like the H1 and the Mercedes use IFS/IRS with extreme success. The biggest reason is that you gon't have the low-slung carrier to destroy your ground clearance NOT the smoothness of the ride.

I guess it all comes down to your definition and style of off-roading...

If you wanna build a rock-crawler (those are amazing vehicles) I'll let you have this. I don't think I've EVER seen an IFS/IRS doing these climbs.

One a dirt road I don't think it matters. A dirt road is a road right? :D

If you mean cross-terrain (streams and fallen trees) then wheel base becomes as important as ground clearance. It all comes down to the type of terrain I guess. But if you look at the Paris-Dakaar rallys you'll see how well the Unimog handles the CJs.

But if you mean mud, then the carrier and shock-mounts of those solid axles are a MAJOR hadicap compared to the coil overs and high clearance of the IFS/IRS.

The concept bronco needs to be done right. After all a Bronco must live up to its name, like Mustang. They should base it off something like a shortened F250 chasis and come with two engine choices: 4.6 or 5.4 3 valve. It needs a solid front and rear axle because IFS is just crap. It needs a removable top and have SHIFT LEVER 4 wheel drive, not a computer or electric button that does it for you. Coils all around would be nice. So would 4 wheel disk brakes, and all the other modern amenities. The concept looks good but please make it a functional BRONCO if you are listening Ford. I would rather it not be made at all if it aims to be some crappy excuse as competition to the honda element.