any tip for driving t-5?

ok so i just got a swap to a t-5 and i can drive it around, but i suck on hills. what makes it even more difficult is the clutch pedal is sooooooo stiff....dont take my word for it cause i never had a stick, thats what my friends say....plus i drove my friends honda civic and its very easy...any way i was just looking for any tips on how to start on hills with this stiff of a clutch because it is really hard for me and i have been trying to practice.....thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

cable clutches are always stiffer, but since you just got done with a swap, make sure your cable is routed properly and not kinked too tightly.

as far as taking off on hills, find where your clutch starts to pull the motor down at idle-make your leg/foot learn when and where that happens, then just practice on some less used roads. when you learn where the pedal starts to engage the clutch, then you'll be able to quickly transition from brake applied, to clutch feathered while applying throttle...it's an acquired skill, but not that dificult to learn, stick with it-you'll get it!

good luck!

when i first learned how to drive stick, my mom and aunt showed me this "old lady" type way of starting on a real steep hill, where u can pull the ebrake up start off normally until u feel it grabbing, then take off. Dont get me wrong, this is probably the biggest chick move ever, but it works if someone is right up your ass and you dont want to back into them. After about a month of driving tho, I was able to sidestep the regular brake if I needed to do that.

I prefer the stiff pedal cuz you can feel when the engagement is taking place. Tried to drive a Focus with hydraulic clutch the other day, wasnt too fond of how easy the pedal went down. First time in it I damn near put the pedal through the floorboard. They have a slight bit of resistance at first and then they just spring down.
Make mine cable...

first learning to drive stick my ddad took me onto this realy realy steap hill in a residential street. he said ok stop, so i did right in the middle of the hill, then he said ok now get moving, took me a couple times and rolling bakwards is pretty scary at first, but once you do it on a really steep hill its a peice of cake

what i do is watch the tach, and slowly come off the clutch (i have a spec stage 2 clutch andits a bit stiffer than stock) till the engine bogs abit, then i quickly go to the gas and give it more gas than you ussualy would.

Funanin said:
when i first learned how to drive stick, my mom and aunt showed me this "old lady" type way of starting on a real steep hill, where u can pull the ebrake up start off normally until u feel it grabbing, then take off. Dont get me wrong, this is probably the biggest chick move ever, but it works if someone is right up your ass and you dont want to back into them. After about a month of driving tho, I was able to sidestep the regular brake if I needed to do that.

I used to do that. Nothing girly about it. I just couldn't roll...not even an inch or so.

After a few months starting on hills is easy. You just learn how to sidesteo off the brake and feed in the clutch and gas at the right time. Now i barely roll at all on moderate hills.

a lot of people get all nervous when they start rolling back, dont worry about rolling, when i learned just start off like u normally would once u get used to driving around town then attempt the hills, once u master it on flat land then the hills should be a piece of cake

You don't necessarily need a stiffer clutch. It will be stiffer though. The cable is most likely routed wrong if it feels different to another 5.0L in comparison.

But just because one has power doesn't mean you need a "stiffer clutch".

I just sat on a fairly steap hill, kept the brake down, let the clutch up slowly until the tach moves. From that point, you can pretty much hold the car in place just by having the clutch where it is. Then give it some gas and slowly let out the clutch. Thats how i learned hills.

i remembered when i first learned to drive stick, it sucked. But i find that you have to learn to clutch, give it a week and you will learn it and what not, will be a piece of cake.....

I first started driving a grandpas truck, it was hard at first, now its a sinch.
Then when i first tryed to learn my buds camry, it was harder than **** at first then after like a couple of times drivng i learned how that perticular clutch was and now i can drive both like its nothing...