Any tips for removing upper intake plaque?

srothfuss

Last night I stabbed the same guy 7 times in a row
Oct 17, 2004
Woodward Ave.
Most of you know that this will be my first EFI build up (sometime soon I hope.) Before those plans are set in motion, I would like to remove the upper intake this weekend so I can do some small stuff to the engine. I know that those 4 bolts holding on the plaque are going to be a pain, but maybe some of you guys, or gals, can give me a few pointers....

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard that those small screws freeze (sieze up) in the intake. Probably due to all of the heat cycling and the dis-similar metals.

Are replacement screws avaliable or will any small fastenter do?

Refer to my first post. I've not broken one of those screw heads off yet, using that method. If your torz bit breaks or starts to loose bite or get rounded off then toss it away and use a new one. They're cheap!

when I had my 89 I left the plaque on until I had the plenum fully off the motor, then with it on my workbench I heated the screws using a propane torch, making sure I was using the right torx head and they came right off

joekd said:
when I had my 89 I left the plaque on until I had the plenum fully off the motor, then with it on my workbench I heated the screws using a propane torch, making sure I was using the right torx head and they came right off
that is impossible unless the person before u didnt put in the two(2) 12 point long ass bolts that go under that intake plaque back in.

when i took mine off i didnt have any trox bites so i used an allen wrench. worked just fine and didnt strip or break them.

Yeah, I am not planning on taking the lower off this weekend. I just need the upper off so I can get at the injectors, Fuel pressure regulator, rockers and do some general investigating of the current status of my lovely car.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Srothfuss, I have a SWEET Polished stainless steel intake plaque with the chrome running pony on it that I bought off of CJ Pnoy Parts for $75. If you want it I will get rid of it for $50. If you want the complete upper also I will sell both for $75. I know you obviously like to go to woodward, well this thing looks sweet on the intake when your pop your hood! Let me know I am local in Macomb

Oh and I used an allen wrech to take the bolts off but the new plaque comes with polished bolts too!!!! :) :nice:

Pete

blake89stang said:
that is impossible unless the person before u didnt put in the two(2) 12 point long ass bolts that go under that intake plaque back in.
I think he's saying he removed the lower from the valley with the upper still attached....THEN removed the torx screws. I think it should be possible...but not easy to get the bolts on the passenger side of the lower.

Oh...I do have a Crown Vic with basically the same setup. While doing the head gaskets recently (last weekend), I found the plaque screws were stuck damn good. I hit them with some creeping oil and then used a torx bit on a 1/4" drive ratchet. I think it's a T20...but I'm not sure. Anyway...with some patience and some controlled muscle, I was able to get them out without stripping them.

I imagine they could be drilled out if worse came to worse. That and heating with a torch would probably work. But, I don't know what it will leave the intake looking like afterward.

When you put them back, don't tighten them up too much, and maybe add some anti-seize.

+1 Put some anti-seize on them when you put them back in so next time you don't have to go through whatever you go through when you remove them.

I just get my racket on there, then give it a smack with a hammer to shock it loose.

soylentgreen said:
I think he's saying he removed the lower from the valley with the upper still attached....THEN removed the torx screws. I think it should be possible...but not easy to get the bolts on the passenger side of the lower.
that would just be plain dumb to do it that way u would spend for ever gettin the drivers side bolts off from the intake beging over them. but i do stuff the easy way(hope i dont sound like an ass)

i have pulled my intake off so much i mastered it:nice: