Anyone catch this?

thunderstorm144

Nov 24, 2004
Alabama
I know this isn't about the Mustang, but it struck me as very odd, since I've never heard of anyone doing this...

According to MotorTrend, next spring's Pontiac Grand Prix GXP version will sport 222/45R-18s in the FRONT and 255/50R-18s in the BACK. Yup, larger wheels in the front. Why? Apparently, this is GM's way of fixing the understeer this car will have. Hmmm....

Wait...can't help...myself..... :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

According to MotorTrend, next spring's Pontiac Grand Prix GXP version will sport 222/45R-18s in the FRONT and 255/50R-18s in the BACK. Yup, larger wheels in the front. Why? Apparently, this is GM's way of fixing the understeer this car will have. Hmmm....

never heard off a 222 tire before? i think you just typo'd the whole thing..cause from what your saying, the rear tires are larger and both use 18" wheels...

Plus this has nothing really to do with the 05 mustang and seems kinda pointless..maybe if it was posted in another forum.

Scott_B said:
never heard off a 222 tire before? i think you just typo'd the whole thing..cause from what your saying, the rear tires are larger and both use 18" wheels...

Plus this has nothing really to do with the 05 mustang and seems kinda pointless..maybe if it was posted in another forum.

The 222 was a typo. Meant 255.

But that is the point of the post. To fix understeer, GM is putting a 45 on the front and a 50 on the back. Bigger tires in front. Lifted straight from Car and Driver Jan. 05. Again, I know it isn't about a Mustang but this is a first (i've ever heard of on a production car) and I thought people might be interested to know this.

HUH? I think you might have a screw loose

they are both 18" dia.

Front is 255/45 = 99.9 aspect ratio
Back is 255/50 = 127.5 aspect ratio

the rear tires will have a larger sidewall.

We do not know the width of the rims front to back so we do not know the tread foot print.....

Still don't see how you get "larger in the front".... :bs:

NosferatuVI said:
HUH? I think you might have a screw loose

they are both 18" dia.

Front is 255/45 = 99.9 aspect ratio
Back is 255/50 = 127.5 aspect ratio

the rear tires will have a larger sidewall.

We do not know the width of the rims front to back so we do not know the tread foot print.....

Still don't see how you get "larger in the front".... :bs:
yeah what he said the 45/50 are percents of the width, thus the 45 has a lower profile. and as such the rear tires are still bigger!!! :bang:

isnt the Grand Prix a front drive platform ??? then it is possible that the front rims are an extra 1/2 inch in width I suppose. Mean there would be no rotational pattern to reduce wear. BUYER BEWARE

I mean hell I had wider tires on the front of my civic then the rears. Because those are the tires that are being driven so the larger the foot print the more grip the faster RT.

:notnice:

2005TorchRedGT said:
I found another preview story on the 'net that says the tire sizes are 225-50-18 fronts and 255-45-18 on the rear:

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/previews,view,Pontiac.spy?artid=31674&pg=2

Not sure who's correct :shrug:

Went back and checked. You are correct - almost. This is me typing straight from C&D Jan 05. Fronts are bigger than the rears.

FRONT - 255/45R-18
BACK - 225/50R-18.

C&D says "to improve handling, the front tires will be larger than the rears."

The funny part is that GM does this to decrease understeer (says this right in the article), which is a first for me since I have never heard of a car manf. doing this.

Man, what a botched thread start... Not hating, just observing...

Anyways, here is what you are looking at:
At 255/45 the tire would have a sidewall size of 114.75mm in the Front (Assuming now we are finally working with the right figures)
At 225/50 the tire would have a sidewall size of about 112.5mm in the Back

So as far as "bigger" tire the tires in the front would be 2.25mm larger in sidewall which translated to height would garner 4.5mm in overall tire height (Since both tires would be riding on identically sized 18 inch wheels). Hardly noticeable in viewing of the tires side by side. Truely the biggest difference noticeable would be the wider of the tires as 30mm in width would be easily seen.

As far as what I think of a manufacturer that does this, no big whoop. Anything that improves the capability of handling to the end result is just one less thing I will have to do to the car myself. Not saying I am going to buy one of those, but good stuff... Actually I do already own a 98 Regal GS which is a similar car but that is my wife's car...

And as said before... Not really sure it matters here... But thanks for the heads up nonetheless...

By the way, did you hear that Ford has come out with an all new Mustang for 05?!?!?! The GT version has 300 hp. As a matter of fact, I think there is an entire forum on Stangnet dedicated to discussion about the 05 Mustang.

TheEvII said:
By the way, did you hear that Ford has come out with an all new Mustang for 05?!?!?! The GT version has 300 hp. As a matter of fact, I think there is an entire forum on Stangnet dedicated to discussion about the 05 Mustang.

:lol:

Funny. Did you hear about the country called America where freedom of speech not only applies to you but to me also?? If you don't like posts about other cars, quit reading when you see any other manufacturer besides Ford.

You guys who keep saying "this is a Mustang forum, quit posting anything that doesn't have something to do with Mustangs" kill me. This isn't someone posting that they love the new Pontiac Grand Prix. This is an informative post about how a car manufacturer is correcting understeer with wider tires in the front. If it was Ford doing this on the Mustang, that would be okay, right? Just not anyone else. You know, eventually you'll run out of things to talk/brag/laugh about on the Mustang and the levity of this post will dawn on you.
:bang:

TheEvII said:
Not only does the GT have 300 hp but it's available with a 5-speed automatic as well. Priced at about 25k, Ford has really hit the nail on the head with the 2005 Mustang.

See...I didn't put two and two together. You're a cubs fan, from Illinois nonetheless. Now I get you. :D :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :lol:

Good luck with that.

thunderstorm144 said:
:lol:

Funny. Did you hear about the country called America where freedom of speech not only applies to you but to me also?? If you don't like posts about other cars, quit reading when you see any other manufacturer besides Ford.

You guys who keep saying "this is a Mustang forum, quit posting anything that doesn't have something to do with Mustangs" kill me. This isn't someone posting that they love the new Pontiac Grand Prix. This is an informative post about how a car manufacturer is correcting understeer with wider tires in the front. If it was Ford doing this on the Mustang, that would be okay, right? Just not anyone else. You know, eventually you'll run out of things to talk/brag/laugh about on the Mustang and the levity of this post will dawn on you.
:bang:

I see your point but if you look at the top, did you see this anywhere?

"StangNet Forums > Mustang Boards > 2005+ Mustang"

I dont know about anyone else, but I was only saying this topic wasnt in the right place and the information was completely wrong from the get go... There are other places for this thread to belong like a general chat area... Besides I gave informative information back didnt I. Not saying I am exactly who you are talking to though...

Mickey21 said:
I see your point but if you look at the top, did you see this anywhere?

"StangNet Forums > Mustang Boards > 2005+ Mustang"

I dont know about anyone else, but I was only saying this topic wasnt in the right place and the information was completely wrong from the get go... There are other places for this thread to belong like a general chat area... Besides I gave informative information back didnt I. Not saying I am exactly who you are talking to though...

Wasn't meant for you, Mickey21. That was for the thread policeman, the Evil Cubs fan.

Don't worry guys. I'll never post anything else that doesn't deal with the 2005 Mustang GT and I will make sure that should anyone else commit this faux pas, I will straighten them out posthaste. I mean, how dare I?

And yes, I appreciate the fact that you were the only person with something intelligent to say about that article in Car and Driver. That wasn't unnoticed.

thunderstorm144 said:
Wasn't meant for you, Mickey21. That was for the thread policeman, the Evil Cubs fan.

Don't worry guys. I'll never post anything else that doesn't deal with the 2005 Mustang GT and I will make sure that should anyone else commit this faux pas, I will straighten them out posthaste. I mean, how dare I?

And yes, I appreciate the fact that you were the only person with something intelligent to say about that article in Car and Driver. That wasn't unnoticed.

Thanks, BTW I hate the fact that your already can enjoy this wonderful car, probably the setup I would have gotten... Must... Be... Strong... Must resist temptation to buy now... Waiting for the SE models to show up someday... :(

Mickey21 said:
Thanks, BTW I hate the fact that your already can enjoy this wonderful car, probably the setup I would have gotten... Must... Be... Strong... Must resist temptation to buy now... Waiting for the SE models to show up someday... :(

Buy now!!! Buy now!!! Give in to temptation!!! :D

Nah, what's the old saying "all good things come to those who wait". Hang in there bud. This is my first Stang and the next will probably be a Cobra. It is a great car and I can't wait for the aftermarket to pick up so I can start blowing money!!! :D