Anyone confirm GT can run on regular gas without problems?

ganador01

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2002
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
I just read a consumer reports article that tested the 11' mustang GT premium using regular gas instead of premium.

Supposedly, they tested it and its 402 HP with regular vs the 412 with premium.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I understand all vehicles these days have knock sensors and will retard timing to make regular unleaded a viable option. But, generally that ruins gas mileage and any benefit you gain gets hosed out by the worsened performance/gas mileage.

Anyone tried this or have a manual they can look into?

• Sponsors (?)

It's 402hp & 377ft. lb. torque with 87 octane.

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine
5.0 Tech Specs
5.0 4V TiVCT V-8

First Model Year 2011
Engine Family Modular
Code Name Coyote
Displacement 4957cc (302 ci)
Bore x Stroke 92.2 x 92.8mm (3.263 x 3.647 inch)
Horsepower

•412 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 91 octane
•402 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 87 octane
Torque

•390 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm, 91 octane
•377 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm, 87 octane
Shipping Weight 430 pounds, includes water pump
Block Low-pressure cast 319 aluminum, pressed-in thin-wall iron liners
Bore Spacing 100mm (3.937-inch)
Deck Height 227mm (8.937-inch)
Deck Thickness 13mm (0.510-inch)
Cylinder Head Retention 12mm bolts, 4 per cylinder, 10 bolts total per bank

Oil 5W/20 weight, mineral
Oil Pan Stamped steel, 8 quarts
Windage Tray Integral w/oil pan gasket
Oil Pump Gerotor
Pistons Hypereutectic, short-skirt, flat-top w/four equal valve reliefs; moly friction-reducing coating; oil-jet cooled
Piston weight 500 grams
Piston Pin Full-floating, 22mm diameter
Piston Pin Retention Wire lock
Piston Rings 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.5 mm, moly top ring
Connecting Rod Powered metal forging, I-beam, no balance pad
Connecting Rod Length 150.7mm (5.933-inch)
Rod/Stroke Ratio 1.62
Crankshaft Forged steel, fully counterweighted, induction hardened
Main Journal 67.5mm (2.652-inch) diameter
Rod Journal 53.0mm (2.082-inch) diameter

Flywheel Retention Eight-bolt
Cylinder Heads Aluminum, four-valve per cylinder
Head Bolts 12mm, four per cylinder
Valve Covers Composite
Compression ratio 11.0:1
Valves 37 x 31mm (1.454 x 1.218-inch), four per cylinder
Camshafts DOHC, four camshafts, independently adjustable timing
Camshaft Timing Twin independent variable
Duration 260 degrees intake, 263 degrees exhaust
Lift 12mm (0.472-inch) intake, 11mm (0.432-inch) exhaust
Lift Limit 13mm (0.510-inch) physical limit in head
Valve Followers Roller-finger follower
Lash Adjusters Hydraulic
Coolant Organic (red)

Exhaust Manifold Short-tube, S44100 stainless-steel Tri-Y tubular headers; 10mm mounting studs w/prevailing torque nuts
Intake Manifold Constant cross section, long-runner single-plane (single-scroll); molded composite w/upper section colored; front throttle body mount
Throttle Body Single-blade, 80mm, e-throttle
Engine Management Software Copperhead
Mass Air Meter 86mm, digital
Oxygen Sensors Universal Exhaust Gas
Knock Sensors Two, in block valley
Ignition Timing Crank trigger, rear of crankshaft
Ignition Coil-on plug
Spark Plug NGK Iridium
Firing Order 1 5 4 8 6 3 7 2
Cylinder Numbering

•Right bank: 1, 2, 3, 4
•Left bank: 5, 6, 7, 8
Fuel System Port fuel injection, returnless
Fuel Injectors 32.8-lb/hr
Fuel Pressure 55 psi
Fuel Requirement 87 octane minimum, 91 octane best/rated power

Check out this link to the entire in-depth article on the beast we call the coyote:

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords

Why would you want to run regular gas in a car that performs better with premium? We dyno'd a 2011 5.0 auto with regular gas that made 352HP/311TQ everyone thought those numbers were pretty low until the owner mentioned the gas.

it's pretty funny to by a reasonably expensive car for performance and then you wanna go cheap on the gas . i would drive my car with premium even if it was 6.00 $ a gallon hope we never see that though but its probably in the future .

You guys that run regular should have bought a 6 cylinder. Why compromise for only a couple bucks a tank. Shouldn't be driving a performance if you can't afford the extra couple bucks a tank.

regular fuel ?

Hi all,
my first post!
Im picking up my 2011 5.0 this friday! I have to drive this car from Fl to Md.
It is slightly used with 2k miles. It has been modified at steeda w/suspension, exhaust, cai and 93 oct tune. I too, think it is nice to have the option to run on 87. Although i will run 93, it would be nice to use regular for the trip home. As it will be 1000 miles. And once i hit it a couple times, im not going to need 450 hp doing 65 mph for 16 hours. I know i could use the sct and return it to stock but since i have never used one yet i'd rather leave it alone. Does anyone know if you can drive it safely w/ the steeda tune on 87 oct? I wont be racing on the way home.
thanks, jim

You guys that run regular should have bought a 6 cylinder. Why compromise for only a couple bucks a tank. Shouldn't be driving a performance if you can't afford the extra couple bucks a tank.

Because you dont always need the performance. If im going to drive it to work for a week, and its a 5 mile commute, why bother with the extra 9hp an 13 ftlbs of tq. Car probably wont go over 2500 rpm the entire trip.

Hi all,
my first post!
Im picking up my 2011 5.0 this friday! I have to drive this car from Fl to Md.
It is slightly used with 2k miles. It has been modified at steeda w/suspension, exhaust, cai and 93 oct tune. I too, think it is nice to have the option to run on 87. Although i will run 93, it would be nice to use regular for the trip home. As it will be 1000 miles. And once i hit it a couple times, im not going to need 450 hp doing 65 mph for 16 hours. I know i could use the sct and return it to stock but since i have never used one yet i'd rather leave it alone. Does anyone know if you can drive it safely w/ the steeda tune on 87 oct? I wont be racing on the way home.
thanks, jim

Ask what octane the tune requires when you pick it up. I would assume they are using the 93-octane tune. If they are, you need to use 93-octane for your drive home. Putting 87 octane in a car tuned for 93 octane would be a bad idea.

Well, pick up the car friday!!!!
drove back to maryland from florida using 87 oct. I am pretty sure my car has the 93 oct. tune. my car was modified at steeda w/ susp. exhuast, intake and tune. I have the SCT.
Drove great on 87 oct, however i shifted at 2-3000 rpm's and never took it over 4k. Now that i'v got it home i filled it with 93 oct. and though i still havnt REALLY gotten on it yet. i would have to say i can surly feel there is MORE available horse power.