Anyone done cams yet in a 3V 4.6?? Preference>??

Id like to see that quote. They must be charging $25/hr for labor. The labor book says this is a 17-22 hour job depending on if anything needs to be replaced. Most shops charge around $85-$90 an hour. The cheapest labor rate I could find was $65/hr. My quotes were NOT from a dealer. Hell, even 2V heads get charged over $1000 to be installed. This is not a task that I would take to a "local shop" - unless they have extensive knowledge of installing these cams and do it on a regular basis.

Wait...are you buying the cams from this shop and paying for the dynotune? Thats probably where they are making up their $$.

Nope, this was with me bringing my own cams. Keep in mind this is a NSR cam, with springs your looking at about twice the labor.

I see your in North Atlanta. One of the best mustang shops in the south is just a few miles up the road in Cartersville. Call Tim at Modular Powerhouse and ask him. Tell him you were referred to him on stangnet by one of his customers.

It was over a year ago when he gave me my quote could be more or less now. He gets 350 to tune a N/A 4.6 and $450 for a FI 4.6. At least that's what it was 2 years ago when I had mine tuned.

• Sponsors (?)

Id like to see that quote. They must be charging $25/hr for labor. The labor book says this is a 17-22 hour job depending on if anything needs to be replaced. Most shops charge around $85-$90 an hour. The cheapest labor rate I could find was $65/hr. My quotes were NOT from a dealer. Hell, even 2V heads get charged over $1000 to be installed. This is not a task that I would take to a "local shop" - unless they have extensive knowledge of installing these cams and do it on a regular basis.

Wait...are you buying the cams from this shop and paying for the dynotune? Thats probably where they are making up their $$.

No offense intended but who ever is giving you the 17-22 hour job time either doesn't have the right tools or is sticking it to you. My local dealership said 6 hours. I believe them as with the right tool to hold the chain in place all you have to do is remove the valve cover, remove the cam and replace. The 20 hours + is only if you don't have the tool to hold the chain which makes you remove the front of the engine ;-)

No offense intended but who ever is giving you the 17-22 hour job time either doesn't have the right tools or is sticking it to you. My local dealership said 6 hours. I believe them as with the right tool to hold the chain in place all you have to do is remove the valve cover, remove the cam and replace. The 20 hours + is only if you don't have the tool to hold the chain which makes you remove the front of the engine ;-)

3 shops all said 17-22 hours...

-Woodbine Motorsports

-A local shop with a friend of mine doing the work quoted me $1500 and quoted the same amount of hours

-Another shop is very very close to me and is very well known in the mustang community, but they shall remain nameless....they quoted $2300....17-22 hours.

Strange how three shops that dont know each other can give me the same "hour" quote.

That's the correct book time for having to pull the timing cover and not doing it through the cam (valve) covers alone. There is a tool that will hold the chain in place thus not having to remove anything but the cam covers. A couple of people have done it without the tool and one used a garden hose to hold his in place. Risky if you ask me but still doable. I was quoted less for parts and labor then you are getting just for labor.

Still don't believe me, do a search. There are several guys that have done them at home in less than 4 hours. Exp mechanics of course but still far from 20 hours.

Have some fun with your respectable shops. Take them the install instructions and ask about the dealerships process for in car cam changes and see if they still give you the 20 hour BS.

Below is the ford instructions and an install page for some comp cams. Not trying to be a pain but I think the difference makes a big difference in $$$ and wrong info could really stear someone in the wrong direction. Me personally, I would rather save for a SC thus the reason I didn't do the install in my car.

http://www.screamn03.com/463V_IVR_Camshafts_303-01B-1.pdf

Ford 3v Mustang Cam Install - CPG Nation Forum