anyone ever barked tyres on a downshift?

70stangcoupe said:
I don't think it's actually barking the tires - I think the tires are actually sliding.

At least, that's what my mechanic told me after my first 5-3 downshift.

Any chance they could be sliding and not spinning? :shrug:

yes, they are sliding not spinning

Ryan L said:
Rev matching takes more skill then just revving up and dumping the clutch to show off.

how is rev matching showing off?

• Sponsors (?)

Measure your crank end-play after a few years of doing that - tsk tsk tsk...you should always blip the gas to rev-match the downshift better. Each gear has its own requirement based on the change of ratios. It gets trickier in lower gears.

4.6MustangSteve said:
i rev match. heel-toe downshift all the time i'm feeling racey, which is 99% of the time.

IMO when you do it right it looks better than the car jerking all over and barking the tires on downshifts... it looks like you actually know what you're doing.
I can't heel toe very well.. So I gave up pretty much. :nonono: I wear boots half the time too so it makes it even harder.

Did you do any pedal swap/mods to make it easier?

... yeah sounds like someone needs to learn how to heel-toe. If the downshift is done without enough gas, the bark is actualy the tires locking up for a brief second while the engine gains RPM to match speed.

That or your car is just a monster that can break them loose at 45-70 from just throttle :banana:

Here's a good how to: Clicky

Oh, and to clear this whole thing up, according to what I know screwing around driving, there are two ways to squeel tires on a downshift.

1) Dont give it revs, let the revs climb as the clutch drops. Drop the clutch very fast or just dump it. Revs will go from idle to the gear revs so fast, that the tires cant keep up and they bark and slide a little. For instance, 40mph, 1k revs in neutral, put gear in 2nd and drop the clutch. Tires will chirp.

2) Downshift to 2nd or 3rd, and apply the same concept or dropping the clutch fast or dumping it, but have revs much HIGHER than the intended gear needs them to be. For instance 40mph, put shifter in 2nd and raise revs to 5800rpm and then dump the clutch.

Right guys?

JonJon said:
I can't heel toe very well.. So I gave up pretty much. :nonono: I wear boots half the time too so it makes it even harder.

Did you do any pedal swap/mods to make it easier?

I just raised my gas pedal to make it easier. I can only do it well with my new balances or this pair of dress shoes i have. The pair i generally wear to school is difficult to heel-toe in.

It was hard to heel-toe with the gas pedal at stock height. Now with the brake and gas even it's alot easier.

For all those who never heard the term before, here in Cali we call it a Touch Down. Don't ask why, it just is. About 11 years ago 2 of my buddies had Califiornia Specials (68 coupe) (Luchy bastids) They use to do it all the time coming up to stoplights. I thought they were insane cuz I thought they were gonna drop the tranny or something. I was only 19 so I didn't know crap. Anyhow.....here in Cali we call it a Touch Down. :shrug:

4.6MustangSteve said:
I just raised my gas pedal to make it easier. I can only do it well with my new balances or this pair of dress shoes i have. The pair i generally wear to school is difficult to heel-toe in.

It was hard to heel-toe with the gas pedal at stock height. Now with the brake and gas even it's alot easier.

Yeah, I raised the gas pedal a while ago but I just haven't gotten used to twisting my leg and pushing 2 pedals with 1 foot. :p I try once in a while when I'm wearing my New Balances but I usually don't even bother now. :(

Blev said:
For all those who never heard the term before, here in Cali we call it a Touch Down. Don't ask why, it just is. About 11 years ago 2 of my buddies had Califiornia Specials (68 coupe) (Luchy bastids) They use to do it all the time coming up to stoplights. I thought they were insane cuz I thought they were gonna drop the tranny or something. I was only 19 so I didn't know crap. Anyhow.....here in Cali we call it a Touch Down. :shrug:

Cali people are weird :D

Blev said:

Because it sounds like an airplane touching down maybe...

When you downshift, if the RPMS are higher than they are going to be when engaging the lower gear, you may get a "bark". If you just push the clutch in, put it in the lower gear, and let out the clutch quickly, you'll hear a "bark", but it's your tires dragging until they get to the right speed. Kinda stupid to do that.

Blev said:

Maybe if ur 50 years old :shrug: ... no one calls that a "TOUCH DOWN" ... ive lived in northern california and now i live in southern california.. and ive never heard anyone say that ..