anyone ever barked tyres on a downshift?

Maybe if I'm 50 you say. Well that would make me say your just a young punk who has to open his mouth too much and thinks he knows everything!! :chair: If you don't have anything intelligent or helpfull to say perhaps you should stick to chat rooms where you can put your .02 in and run your mouth.

That's just my .02

• Sponsors (?)

i think i would eat my own poopoo for a 68 high country special. still, the 68 cali special is sweet.

Blev said:
Maybe if I'm 50 you say. Well that would make me say your just a young punk who has to open his mouth too much and thinks he knows everything!! :chair: If you don't have anything intelligent or helpfull to say perhaps you should stick to chat rooms where you can put your .02 in and run your mouth.

That's just my .02

heh, we'll all be 50 one day. i'm sure blue03gt didn't mean to give you a hard time.

Scared the hell out of me the first time I did that :D. I was in 4th and had to gear down to 2nd kinda quick, let the clutch out a bit to fast and SKKKKREEEECCCCHHHHHHHHH!!!! I thought the guy beside me was going to swerve 2 lanes over lol. I stayed straight as could be though. Ive done it since to a couple times and its all the same, I just let the clutch out to fast. Only happens if Im having to stop really fast though like if someone is CUTTING ME OFF!!!! Sorry had to vent lol I hate most drivers in Raleigh :D.
Just be easy on the clutch when you let it out and youll never do it again, but what fun is that :D.
I love the touchdown comment too :nice:

not so much your clutch as your rear end assembly...think about it, your going from being out of the torque curve to being in the middle of it in a split second, i dont know many cars that can do that off the line, its like a hydroshock to the rear end

OK, you are doing something VERY VERY BAD. For multiple reasons.
1) you are putting a LOT of stress on the clutch. It will wear out SUPER quickly like this. More so than abusing your car during acceleration.

2) By causing the rear tires to lose traction while all the weight is transfer to the front of the car, can cause the car to spin out WITHOUT warning.

You aren't matching the revs on the downshift, give it more gas. You are doing this more when you are braking harder because more weight is transfered to the front and the rev differentiation will be higher.

hellion said:
i think i would eat my own poopoo for a 68 high country special. still, the 68 cali special is sweet.

heh, we'll all be 50 one day. i'm sure blue03gt didn't mean to give you a hard time.

High Country special is even more rare. One of the guys moms had a white one. For those who don't know, High Country was Colorado's version of the Cali Special.

Everyone that "Barks" Their tires on decel draggin the tires is gonna Grenade your clutch!!!! The rivits that hold our clutches together is configured to hold 1 way. Also the forward gears in the tranny are cut to only be stressed one way and will break the input or main shaft.

Josh.

Done it when I was buzzed, never again. (Buddy also grenaded my clutch tryin to be a badazz and didnt know what he was doing.)

What's up Steve!

I always rev match downshifts and heel toe when I'm braking for a turn / in a turn and want to downshift. It's pretty much automated now that I've done it for so long, silky smooth rev matched downshifts show people that you know how to drive. When you bark the tires on the downshift it looks like you're some dumbass that doesn't know how to drive a stick.

Digging this from the graveyard pit.....

I was just browsing my threads and decided to read this one again

the reason i asked is because i remember i was under hard brake and i was trying to slow down fast but stupid me downshifted through 2 gears from 4th to 3rd to 2nd. The tires chirped from the 3rd to 2nd- i wasnt watching the tach. was this an overrev?

I cant believe you chodes do that sort of thing to your cars...that IS very hard on the entire drivetrain. I believe matching the RPM's has been mentioned, 1fast03pony: thats what you need to do if you wanna down shift hard. My general rule is that even under hard braking I dont shift into a gear that will be over 3,500RPM's.

Jus my .02, I like for my stuff to last...

Yeah, chirping your tires on a downshift makes it look like you don't know how to drive. I don't think it's cool at all, lol. A dumbass in a Tercel can do the same thing if he wants to, isn't a show of power at all. Rev matching and heel toe show you have some skill and it sounds a lot better too.

*EDIT* just realized what an old ass thread this was and that I had already responded once :rlaugh:

StangDriver5650 said:
Yeah, chirping your tires on a downshift makes it look like you don't know how to drive. I don't think it's cool at all, lol. A dumbass in a Tercel can do the same thing if he wants to, isn't a show of power at all. Rev matching and heel toe show you have some skill and it sounds a lot better too.

*EDIT* just realized what an old ass thread this was and that I had already responded once :rlaugh:
it's ok, 95% of people are going to think it's a new thread anyways