Anyone ever painted their car with 04 Mystichrome paint??

• Sponsors (?)

I believe its a base + clear. I was going to get it painted a year and a half ago, but then took the money and went on vacation instead. It was going to cost me 4400 to get it painted. he was going to take the car apart and do it. He said he could order the paint without problem and i think he said it came premixed. I remember he said it was about $600/pint and i think i needed 2 1/2 pints or so. Im thinking of doing it again now if i get my house refinanced so wanted to see pics if anyone else has done this.

I thought that Ford won't let anyone buy this paint. :shrug:

I've heard stories where if a Mystic was damaged, Ford would send out a painter to your local dealer with the paint and repair it and take the paint back with him.

ok here is the deal on the paint.. It is very easy to paint the mysticchrome paint jobs.. Did a few lowriders in the House of kolors versions.. they tell you it's hard to keep you from doing it yourself....LOL
Your have way there, your car is already black. for you it would be easy

1. take 600 grit and wet sand the whole car
but first you have to was the car really good with a wax and oil remover, presol and then was the car with soap and water, then wash the car again with just water.
then wet sand
2. take a blow gun and blow out all the seams and and wash it again. cheesecloth the whole car and tape it off..

3.mix the paint with reducer, paint and start shooting..

the best part about shooting this paint is that it is real forgiving. but when your shooting it, it will look crazy because the colors will be changing as the paint hits the car. ignore that and keep going.

once you shoot about 3 coats sit back and watch your car go crazy in the booth. the colors will start going crazy as they dry. i like to call this the TRANSFORMER PHAsE..LOL after it drys check for runs, if so wet sand them out with 1000+ grit and shot the clear.

Tip if you want the car to look like a mirror, let the car dry and wet sand the whole car with 1000+ grit and then shot the clear. it's called color sanding..

hope this helps

Any rep body shop should be able to do it.And like the guy mentioned before....its very forgiven if you make a mistake.But please spend the money and get enough material and do not let the shop tell you they can get away with doing with 2 pints.All they will do is just reduce the hell out of the paint and when they do that it takes away from the look you are trying to get.I see alot of people here in my area that tried the cheap route and didn't get enough paint and there cars look bad.They come out very blochie and I just shake my head when i see them.To paint your car and do the jams would take at least 3 quarts.You will have some left but it better to have then to wish you did.And another about this paint.......................lets say a year from now you get into a fender bender,well the paint will match up perfectly when doing repair work.I can email you some pics of my mazda with the Dupont Chromilusion (the same as the mysitchrome on the 04's)But I have different color variations then what is on the 04 Cobra.

speedytang said:
My question is?
Is the paint still a 3-4part deal like the 96 cars which would cost me $1500 alone just for the paint or did they make it a base+clear now to keep the cost down.

Base
Clear + Chameloen Mix
Clear

That's the way OEM mystic is painted, or so my teacher at school who sprayed it said.

Mossberg said:
I thought that Ford won't let anyone buy this paint. :shrug:

I've heard stories where if a Mystic was damaged, Ford would send out a painter to your local dealer with the paint and repair it and take the paint back with him.

That is true for 96's.