Anyone have a no-start/battery problem after Grant steering wheel?

• Sponsors (?)

Jess, for a quick test of your hypothesis, pop the column shroud off and disconnect the two-wire connector (grey and brown, IIRC) for the horn and CC. This will rule out the new wheel as a source of draw.

Did you do anything for the CC? The Grant slipring I have is all one piece (as opposed to the 3 channel piece that is OEM). I was real hinky about this since there is power and ground feeding to this location, and having both shorted together in a one piece slipring didn't seem copacetic.

Good luck bud.

Thanks Hissin. No, I didn't do anything for the cruise, because it hasn't worked in like... 6 years, and I didn't miss it so it got nixed. Didn't want to lose the horn, which works fine. At this point I think it was a combination of a bad battery (now replaced) and 19 year old cables. I think disconnecting the battery to install the wheel may have just sent them over the edge.

Jess, that sounds good to me. I really couldn't think of how the slipring connections would cause an issue (it would just blow the CC fuse). If you do have to do any rewiring, I think I wrote down colors of what is what from when I relocated the CC buttons with an aftermarket wheel.

Good luck - and it's great to see you back in here. :nice:

Yeah, I pulled the ground wire out last night, and the last two inches before the block were hard as a rock. Me thinks it wasn't working too well. Good to see you're still quick on the draw here posting. Since getting the Cobra I've been spending most of my time over at svtperformance.com, but for something general like this that has nothing to do with that car, I'll go where the huge crowd is :SNSign:

have you drove the car at all with the steering wheel installed.

if not it could be you left your door open, i do when i work on stuff like that. may have drained the battery.