Anyone have a stock TPS laying around?

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
Portland, Oregon
I'm having a hard time finding a TPS that is compatible with my stock throttle body. Ford has two of them -- 45 bucks, and 90 bucks. I bought the cheaper one, and it does not work with my throttle body. I went to the local auto parts store and looked at what should have been identical to the more expensive Ford one, but it was identical to the cheap one I bought... so I let the store keep it :). I'd go ahead and order the expensive one from Ford but I have to pay in advance, and that's a $90 risk...

So I thought I'd see if anyone here had a stock one laying around. Or even a stock throttle body with the TPS installed. Either way. I need to get this car back up and running and I want to avoid wasting even more money...

• Sponsors (?)

Dave, do you need a picture of one or a spare that someone has lying around?

FWIW, a few members have posted that Pep Boys had a BW TPS that was correct for the car. If Ford ordered me the wrong part (they should have told you which you need), I'd have told them to eat it (even if it is an electrical item). Easier said than done I know..............

I'm sure we can help ya out but [at least I am] not sure whatcha need (I'd send you a spare OEM TPS if I had one - the one on my car is original).

HISSIN50 said:
Dave, do you need a picture of one or a spare that someone has lying around?
I'm trying to get the actual TPS. I gave mine away to a friend a few years back when I installed my FMS throttle body, so I don't have a reference number to compare to when looking for a new one.

FWIW, a few members have posted that Pep Boys had a BW TPS that was correct for the car. If Ford ordered me the wrong part (they should have told you which you need), I'd have told them to eat it (even if it is an electrical item). Easier said than done I know..............
Problem is that Ford made two 94/95 throttle position sensors. I think I was wrong earlier when I thought NAPA had the one I did not need. I pulled out the one I bought from Ford and I see two distinct differences -- the internal piece is clocked at a different starting angle, and the plug is a different design. I should have taken the Ford one with me, I think NAPA had the one I needed after all. Doh! Have to wait until Monday to be sure now, they're closed.

urban96 said:
or search ebay for throttle bodys and maybe theres a few on there with the sensor still on it
Been there, done that ;). I think I saw one that still had the sensor, most don't.

What a PITA. :bang:

At least I'm almost ready to turn the key again. Just have to reattach the cat-back, put on the TB, MAF, and filter, add coolant, change the oil, attach the smog lines, connect the steering shaft, insert the oil dipstick tube ...

Oh damn, turns out there's lots of stuff let to do :lol:. But old yeller' is about to come back alive. Only with about 190 rwhp instead of 310 :(.

Dave

When I got my new TPS, my old one was fine. I replaced it for nothing. I had to give them the ford part number so they could cross reference it to the correct replacement part.

I remember the correct TPS for my car being the more expensive one.

And JT, are you sure you aren't thinking of the BW IAC valve. The IAC is the only one that I know of that needs the BW part.

I think this is the OE number you need. F1SZ-9B989-A

That is the more expensive one and it's also black, not grey.
Scott

Well, I went back to NAPA, this time with the Ford TPS I had already purchased, and they were definitely very different. The more expensive one fits just like you'd expect, so problem is solved.

Now if I could just find my old EGR tube... :lol:

Dave

mo_dingo said:
And JT, are you sure you aren't thinking of the BW IAC valve. The IAC is the only one that I know of that needs the BW part.

Scott
Scott, I do recall your having luck with the BW IAC from Pep. But I think I recall having heard about the TPS on another board, but I could very well be wrong.

Wouldnt be the first time. :bang:

Dave, glad to hear you got the right one. With these cars, when in doubt, get the more expensive part. :bang: :bang:

HISSIN50 said:
Scott, I do recall your having luck with the BW IAC from Pep. But I think I recall having heard about the TPS on another board, but I could very well be wrong.

Wouldnt be the first time. :bang:

Dave, glad to hear you got the right one. With these cars, when in doubt, get the more expensive part. :bang: :bang:

That's the first I have heard about it w/ respect to the TPS. Even BW has 2 different parts, so maybe they are on the ball and the other brand will work with the right OE.

Yeah I would trust the BW part above bottom of the line parts AZ stocks anyway. I just can't believe they used 2 different TPS on our cars...really annoying. But I guess that's par for the course with 94-95.

But glad you got it solved Dave.
Scott