Anyone have a tweecer RT?

lamrith

Founding Member
Jun 7, 2000
Tacoma, WA
Hey all,
I have been away from the forums and local crowd for a while. In case some don't know, I sold the MG over a year ago and bought a 95GT Vert. LOVE IT!!

Car was always well cared for, and has run good until the last few months. I am getting very bad ping/detonation. It happens WOT and comes on suddenly at 3000rpm. The fuel filter was replaced recently, and I have had the issue whether I run 87octane cheap fuel or high end premium.

I am hoping someone has a Tweecer Rt that I can borrow for a week, weekend, or whatever to get some datalogs using the stock tune and see what's going on.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry i don't have a tweecer, but... you say it ran great until a few months ago.

Before looking at the the tune... maybe check into the fuel pump. If its still the stocker from when the car rolled of the assembly line. 94-95's are getting up there in age and miles. Parts are starting to wear out.

I think i still have my old stocker that was flowing ok, was whining a bit (no det issues and pressure seemed fine) sitting around... U could always swap em and see if the pump is the issue.

So really you dont have any mods right? If thats the case a Tweecer is not going to help. The TR will let you look at certain things but wont pinpoint the problem and you wont be able to make any changes that will stick.
What mods listed above? You dont have any.

So really you dont have any mods right? If thats the case a Tweecer is not going to help. The TR will let you look at certain things but wont pinpoint the problem and you wont be able to make any changes that will stick.
What mods listed above? You dont have any.

I am just hoping combined with my LC1 hooked to tweecer I could get data logs and see if maybe timing was erratic (I just had to replace distrib few months back as mine died, so maybe ECU is bad and killing them?) Or if everything was showing as good, but still bad, points me to bad injectors, fuel pump etc..

Basically I can't afford to just start replacing things until the problem stops, and swapping in a used part is like a 50/50 chance to fix it? I may start with a good sefoam treatment, see if maybe is junk in heads/cyls making hotspots, then replace fuel filter in case I got bad fuel and it is clogged up.

Your not funny Corey!! and if I did it would be a stroked out 351w, hrmm 408 TT has a nice ring to it!! :Zip2: :flag:

So you do have something on that car. You would be able to see the timing jumping around if thats what you're after. What have you done so far?
Did the distributor come with the correct cam gear?
I've got a code scanner if you need.

Not sure what you mean by have something on the car? She is stock aside from AFPR, on Rail FP Guage and K&N filter. the AFPR and guage were added after the problems started, I was thinking was a fuel issue, but even raising FP did not change it.

94/95 Take a unique distrib, they are remote TFI, so there is no issue with the cam gear as I had to use a 94/95 specific distrib as a replacement.

Other than that I have not done anything aside from verify that base timing is at factory 10* and right now stay out of WOT :Damnit:

I know chances are that is is fuel related, I was just hoping to get ahold of a tweecerRT (or some other logging device) so that I could see what is going on with the factory ECU, make sure that timing is not erratic, or some other anomoly before I start buying parts.

Are you going to KK tonight?

I had not planned to go tongiht, lot going on this weekend, and I need to get prep work done. Maybe next week? Need to replace struts this week too, my fronts are shot right now.

I have not noticed any loss of oil, nor any smoking. It could be injectors, Def not ruled that out. sort of was hoping that with wideband and RT logging I could see that ECU sending good signal to Distrib and injectors, and FP stays good, but she goes lean points very clearly to something like injectors. if FP dropping and goes lean that tells me is Fuel filter/pump.. etc.. basic process of elimination, but hopefully at least narroewed down with logging so not replace entiere engine.. though that sounds like fun :rlaugh:

you won't be able to log fuel pressure with the tweaker, there's no sensor.

I was having issues with our '94 as well but it was cured just by switching fuels from cheap ass arco regular to chevron regular...

you won't be able to log fuel pressure with the tweaker, there's no sensor.

I was having issues with our '94 as well but it was cured just by switching fuels from cheap ass arco regular to chevron regular...

Yeah no FP log, but I was hoping to at least get a good read on timing/rpm/O2 levels which should really narrow it down.

I have premium Chevron in her now and WOT she scares me with the noise. Not pulled plugs yet because not have anyplace I can do a WOT pull and shutdown safely before she idles a while due to traffic.

I have seafoam here. I may do that today since I have some time. THen move from there. I also have a spare Fuel pump around. Can that be done without dropping the fuel tank?

I think you're getting carried away with wanting to use the tweecer. Keep it simple. Check the basics. You're stabbing at the problem. Even with the tweecer you're not going to get a positive indication of what the problem is. You're trying to get technical with the computer. You're trying to read o2 levels. It could be something simple. If you want bring it by my place in Lacey.

Check compression check
Pull plugs
Scan the ECU.
Check vacume tubing