Anyone have experience with feline leukemia?

Chelle -
I'm at a loss for words, I hadn't read this thread until today. Your the second friend in as many weeks to lose one of her four legged children. Our 1st Assistant Chief (and family) lost their chocolate lab, Chance, on New Year's Eve Day to a hit and run driver.
Chance had become as much a fixture around the firehouse as the Chief's two teenagers............:(
Please know you're in my prayers.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you. :)

It's crazy how empty a house can feel with 3 cats.

In a few months we'll have Ten tested again. If she's negative we might look into adopting another kitten (it's getting tested & vaccinated right off, though). If she's still positive, we might look at rescue groups and see if we can find another FeLV+ cat that is otherwise healthy (a lot of people will give up their positive cats even if they're not sick otherwise and most shelters will euthanize them because they're practically unadoptable).

Emily & Romeo are negative after being exposed to it for 3 months and they're both vaccinated so we're not too worried about them getting it by introducing another positive cat, but if Ten is still positive, we don't want to introduce another negative cat to it.

-Chelle

Chelle; I hope Ten keeps fighting it; hopefully test negative at some point. The link that mudbilly posted helped me find the web page I was looking for, so I saved it for Jessie; who was sitting in the chair next to mine while holding her remaining (and aging gracefully) Holland Lop, Sophie. Sophie's stretched out on Jessie's tummy and chest, licking her arm. (Rabbits lick people???) :shrug:

Good isea on the "animal rescue" group. I generally dislike most of the human race; but I have a major soft spot for the four-legged critters. Good luck with the three cats; and I hope you can find a good addition to the menagerie.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my "baby" Gracie to FL about 7 years ago. She was almost 4 when she got very sick-wouldn't eat or drink. We took her in and found out she had FL. The vet told us they could give her an IV and we could take her home, but we chose to let her go (put her down) since it seemed cruel to make her die slowly since she wouldn't eat/drink by herself. We got her as a kitten (a few months old)-and she lived with our older cat, Precious, her whole life-they fought, slept together, groomed each other. After we found out she was FL positive, we had Precious tested-she was negative. Prec lived until she was 18 and died from kidney failer-and she was never vaccinated for FL either.

Sorry about your kitty. :(

We started looking around to adopt another FeLV+ kitty a few days ago. We found a rescue/sanctuary about 2 hours south of here that said they had a whole bunch of FeLV+ kitties and most of them "weren't showing any signs of illness." We made an appointment and drove down there yesterday. We were completely horrified. All their FeLV+ kitties were in one big room (about 30 cats) and they weren't bothering to quarantine the sick ones so every single cat had respiratory problems from just seezing & runny eyes to nearly comatose and looking like they wouldn't survive much longer. It was really sad. As much as we wanted to rescue some of them, we couldn't risk bringing anything home to Ten, but we have contacted the SPCA so hopefully they'll do an investigation. I really don't think they were intentionally neglecting the cats as much as they just had no clue what they were up against. So we don't really want them completely shut down, we just want someone to go and hopefully help them out & educate them.

Anyway, there was also a FeLV+ kitty at a foster home in KC so we looked at her today and ended up adopting her. Her name is Toonces and she's about 1 1/2 years old. She is perfectly healthy other than the FeLV; in fact when they first got her, she gave birth to 3 kittens and they all tested negative (rare & a good sign). She's really shy & scared right now but once she settles in, I think she'll be great.
Here's her petfinder page:
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?ac...fa4-app4&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
And a pic:
toonces05.jpg

-Chelle