Anyone here go from 3.73 to 4.10?

Mean88

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
I plan on swapping from 3.73 to 4.10 this winter. I was curious as to wether or not there was much of a difference. Many say that 4.10 are overkill for a daily driver, I guess I would just like some opinions.
Ted

• Sponsors (?)

i have 4.10s with a spool on mine. I drive it daily, but i only live a couple miles from work. I think they really give you that extra edge off the line for sure. I wouldn;t recommend much interstate driving or top end racin much over a 100. Gas sucks on teh interstate, but not to bad city driving as long as you take it easy. HAVE FUN!

i did the swap and i'm never looking back. at the track the rpms stay up in the power band soooooooo much better. there is not that much difference in town or highway. i never drive mine on interstate though. i notice the rpms about 200 more is all. at 70 i am at 2400rpms..

Mean88 said:
I plan on swapping from 3.73 to 4.10 this winter. I was curious as to wether or not there was much of a difference. Many say that 4.10 are overkill for a daily driver, I guess I would just like some opinions.
Ted
I just got 3.73's on Tues.I wouldnt go 4.10's because I do ALOT of highway driving.But to be honest,3.90's are crossing my mind!!

I went from 3.73's to 4.10's on my stocker. Made absolutly no other changes at that time.
Car went from mid-high 1.7 60's to low 1.7 60's and gained 1.5mph in the 1/8. It was the difference from running 13.teens to cracking into the 12's.

There is a difference in fuel mileage, not sure what it is, I've not checked, but it sure blew my fuel strategy the first couple trips to the track... had to buy gas once there to get the tank back up to 1/3 full.

With 245/50-16's out back, 50mph is 1800rpm, 70mph is darn handy to 2600rpm, 80mph is 2900rpm.

The car is my daily driver, but it's all city.
4.10's are not bad on the highway, but the 3.73's were definatly nicer for long trips.

Hope that helps.

ONEBADPNY said:
i did the swap and i'm never looking back. at the track the rpms stay up in the power band soooooooo much better. there is not that much difference in town or highway. i never drive mine on interstate though. i notice the rpms about 200 more is all. at 70 i am at 2400rpms..

Same here. My car had 4:10's installed when i bought it. Actually the first time I test drove my car before I bought it I was amazed that the RPM's stayed at about 2300-2400 on the interstate. Heck, thats better than my 93 4-cyl with the 3.73's (automatic). And I absolutely love the way the car pulls when running through the gears. My only complaint is 1st gear is pretty short and traction is a problem (I cant really complain about that though-its a street car :nice: ) Also, I took my car on a longer trip last spring (a few hundred miles) and my mileage wasn't bad at all, probably around 18-19 mpg. I say go for them :flag: I know i'd never change them, unless the car became a daily driver (i commute 45 minutes each way to work). Hope this helps your decision!

Keeping my car in its powerband is what i am looking for. I have a fully built 306, and it has alot more power near the top. Do the gears vibrate at all, or more compared to 3.73?
Hey ford man, where in wisconsin are ya?

Ted

ONEBADPNY said:
DUDE,are you serious???????????2400 at 70?--------4.10's???????

cleanLX said:
I went from 3.73's to 4.10's on my stocker. Made absolutly no other changes at that time.
Car went from mid-high 1.7 60's to low 1.7 60's and gained 1.5mph in the 1/8. It was the difference from running 13.teens to cracking into the 12's.

There is a difference in fuel mileage, not sure what it is, I've not checked, but it sure blew my fuel strategy the first couple trips to the track... had to buy gas once there to get the tank back up to 1/3 full.

With 245/50-16's out back, 50mph is 1800rpm, 70mph is darn handy to 2600rpm, 80mph is 2900rpm.

The car is my daily driver, but it's all city.
4.10's are not bad on the highway, but the 3.73's were definatly nicer for long trips.

Hope that helps.
Well , Im sure you guys heard this a thousand times,but,I think I should have gone a little more in gears!!__________DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!