Anyone in Cincinnati area to look at a 65FB

jmoon

Jun 28, 2005
Clawson, MI
Anyone in Cincinnati area available to look at a 65FB

I have located a 65 FB in the Cincinnati area and I am wondering if there is anybody out there that lives in the area to take a look at the car for me.
The list price seems decent except when I spoke to the buyer he told me the following:
Engine: Rebuilt 302 4BBL Holley (has some idle issues once in awhile)
Trans: 4 Speed with Hurst shifter
Dual exhaust
Ad says rust free and straight body but he told me over the phone that there is small rust on the front left frame rail.
He also told me that part of the floor pan is fiberglass (not sure how it is attached to the rest of the body).

Do you guys think $12,500 is reasonable based on the description? The pictures look pretty good. Doesn't seem to need any paint or any exterior panels need to be replaced.

I'm planning on going to look at it this Saturday but I was wondering if there was someone that was close in the area to take a look at it for me. I have no trouble paying for your time and recommendation.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Rule of thumb says there is probably 5 times more rust than you can see. Do you know the engine code? Unless it is an "A" code or better, I believe $12,500 is a bit high. I paid a little more than that for a Cali '65 FB last year that is truly rust free.
Would anyone else on this board call it a rust free car if it had fiberglass in the floorboards or am I off base?

Fiberglass?

Well, if you can't get anyone, try to do everything that I didn't do.

-Buy in the day time.
-Bring a screwdriver (to test the floorpans).
-Bring it to a lift to see if the rear end leaks, see more rust, whatever.
-Bring a flashlight and look for eveything.
-Don't buy with your heart, not your head.

A 65 Mustang isn't rare and there are more out there.

My car is rust free now, after a TON of welding. Should have taken my time.

Took me 2 months to find mine. Searched the internet 2-3 hours every day. Found her on Ebaymotors, the auction expired and I contacted him at his business in LA and made him an offer. Worried sick whether I had made a mistake (didn't see the car before she showed up), then couldn't believe how lucky I had gotten. He had plenty of pics posted but with all the ripoffs you never know.
Keep checking all the sources, Ebaymotors, collectorcartraderonline, Karmustang in Columbus. I am sure there are others, some will even put you on their list if something comes up.
Good luck, MikeR