Anyone interested in an HID group purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

so the HIDs arrived today and i took the opportunity to throw em in. they look unbelievable. very very bright. the 6k has just a tint of blue. sexy. anyway, install was a breeze. the only thing i didnt like was there are two pin connectors that plug into the stock bulb connector. they wouldnt stay in! i tried to "modify" the pins to no avail so i bent the pins to a 45* angle and jammed them in the connector, then electrical taped the hell outta it. seems to work ok. im very impressed with the HIDs. ive only driven it around the neighborhood though. cant wait to take it out on the darkened streets.

DerekStangGT said:
so the HIDs arrived today and i took the opportunity to throw em in. they look unbelievable. very very bright. the 6k has just a tint of blue. sexy. anyway, install was a breeze. the only thing i didnt like was there are two pin connectors that plug into the stock bulb connector. they wouldnt stay in! i tried to "modify" the pins to no avain so i bent the pins to a 45* angle and jammed them in the connector, then electrical taped the hell outta it. seems to work ok. im very impressed with the HIDs. ive only driven it around the neighborhood though. cant wait to take it out on the darkened streets.

Sux to live in Hawaii where everything takes 3 days longer to get :notnice:

I'm glad you liked them. I guess I'll have to wait to see that problem you spoke of. I'll install them in my friend's shop and maybe he and I can think of a good fix.

Take a photo of the problem if you can and post it up.

san~man said:
Sux to live in Hawaii where everything takes 3 days longer to get :notnice:

I'm glad you liked them. I guess I'll have to wait to see that problem you spoke of. I'll install them in my friend's shop and maybe he and I can think of a good fix.

Take a photo of the problem if you can and post it up.
i cant take pics of the problem now, its all taped up. you'll know it when you see the kit.

oh, and it helps to read the directions that come with the kit. i didnt, and i was confused as ****. the pass side stock headlight bulb connector isnt used. i just taped over it to keep water and dirt out

BigChiefSmokem said:
GOt mine in the mail on saturday and am in the process of moving.. No time this weekend to get them installed. :( PLEASE POST PICS WHEN YOU GET EM ON! :)

Oh, and Please post some tips and tricks you did to get them in...

DerekStangGT said:
oh, and it helps to read the directions that come with the kit. i didnt, and i was confused as ****. the pass side stock headlight bulb connector isnt used. i just taped over it to keep water and dirt out

DerekStangGT said:
install was a breeze. the only thing i didnt like was there are two pin connectors that plug into the stock bulb connector. they wouldnt stay in! i tried to "modify" the pins to no avail so i bent the pins to a 45* angle and jammed them in the connector, then electrical taped the hell outta it. seems to work ok. im very impressed with the HIDs. ive only driven it around the neighborhood though. cant wait to take it out on the darkened streets.
install really is easy. i forgot to time myself like i thought i would, but i could only get through one beer. :shrug: whats that, like 15 min? the beer was still cool sitting outside in 90*. anyway, as for the Ballasts. theyre a pain to find a place to mount. it took me like half the time just trying to figure out where to put them. i mounted the driver side Ballast on the fuse box cover with the double sided tape that came in the kit. the pass side is wedged against the side of the engine compartment, next to my intake tube. i couldnt easily get the tape on the back of the one, so i used like 3 zip ties from different angles to secure it in place. theres a ton of wiring too. most of it i zip tied together and stuffed it down next to the battery, in the smal open space between the engine, battery, and radiator. the wire that i had to run to the pass side bulb i ran on top to the radiator, but under the shroud. if you look close, it might be deemed as "ghetto". when i get some free time at work i might mess with it some more to try to hide everything better.
as for the Ballasts.

Boxes the kit came in

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

Ballast itself
ballast.jpg

Connectors on the ballast
ballastends.jpg

2 bulbs
box.jpg

the connectors on the bulbs
bulbends.jpg

The wires
accesswhole.jpg

1 end
accesswires1.jpg

other end
accesswires2.jpg

That is all. I got home too late to install them :(.

Attachments

• box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 86
  • box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 78
  • ballast.jpg
    ballast.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 89
  • ballastends.jpg
    ballastends.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 69
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 83
  • bulbends.jpg
    bulbends.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 68
  • accesswhole.jpg
    accesswhole.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 76
  • accesswires1.jpg
    accesswires1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 66
  • accesswires2.jpg
    accesswires2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 73
san~man said:
Looks like pubes on the rug :puke: :jester:

heh-heh......heh.....heh-heh-heh.....he just said "pubes"....heh-heh....heh-heh-heh

Bungholio.gif

From the pics, the wiring harness and relays look to be of good quality, similar to that supplied with McCulloch kits. What sort of kit connector, if any, is used to connect to the stock headlight bulb connector? It looks like two exposed pins from the pic.

You probably insert them into the the headlight bulb connector on your stock wiring harness. I bought a HID fog light kit that came that way and was not impressed that an actual connector had not been used. I used the base of the OEM fog light bulbs and soldered those spade pins you show in your close-up pic to them to make a secure, watertight connection. You could use the base of a OEM headlight bulb in the same manner if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.