Anyone interested in an HID group purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Cory281 said:
I might be interested, are these street legal btw?

sure, until you get pulled over by an a-hole cop. strangely, its perfectly fine for a car to come with these from the factory, but illegal for those to install them when they want to achieve higher nightime vision and be safer to themselves and society by lengthening their viewing distances and accuracy at night.

I don't know if I am 100% correct about this, but it is my understanding that the legality issue with aftermarket HID setups is that the light is too bright for the other drivers on the road, since it is coming out of a housing that was not designed for the different light characteristics of an HID system. In other words, if you put an HID bulb in a stock housing, it's going to be lighting up EVERYTHING (including other drivers' eyes) instead of just the road, as it is supposed to. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about all this.

It really is a shame that it is illegal, though. HID technology is vastly superior to halogen; if I had my druthers it would be offered as an option on every new vehicle.

san~man said:
Also to those interested, Matt can get the 4300k kit.

That sold me, count me in :D. How were you planning on installing them? Getting the shroud and bezel from the hidplanet guy, or just installing them straight? If you do get the shroud and bezel, LMK.

Stang|ess said:
That sold me, count me in :D. How were you planning on installing them? Getting the shroud and bezel from the hidplanet guy, or just installing them straight? If you do get the shroud and bezel, LMK.

I emailed John about his services, but haven't gotten a response yet.

I'd love to have that "factory" look like he makes, but am wondering what's involved with the "kit" he sells. I'd have to have to cut apart the light to install it.

We'll see when he responds. ILYK.

san~man said:
I emailed John about his services, but haven't gotten a response yet.

I'd love to have that "factory" look like he makes, but am wondering what's involved with the "kit" he sells. I'd have to have to cut apart the light to install it.

We'll see when he responds. ILYK.

The kit is nothing more than the bezel and shroud you fit into your housing to properly control the light. It looks better than projector housings, but kind of expensive. To cut open the lamp, you just stick it in the oven to melt the adhesive.

I emailed him a few months back, and this is his reply.
Subject: Re: bezel and shroud
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:41:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
Your headlight should be able to fit a TSX, E55 or RS6
projector. While the Mustang headlight has ample
depth you must take into account the height with your
projector selection. For example, TLs would have the
necessary depth but would be too high. You would have
to accommodate for this by possibly cutting out some
of the bottom of the headlight so the bi-xenon
solenoid will be able to fit. As for HIDPlanet's oem
packages, both the Valeo and Bosche projectors can be
used with you headlight with no problem.

I charge US$155 to custom mold a pair of bezels and
shrouds to your choice of projector and paint them
with your choice of high temp paint. The shrouds are
painted with 2 coat primer, 2 coats color and 2 coats
clear. Shipping cost is not included in this price
but is normally $12 using USPS Priority Mail w/
Confirmation Delivery. Turn around currently is about
2 weeks.

Once I receive your sample projector, I will require
1/2 of the quoted price total as a down payment before
work can begin. Once completed, the remaining balance
of the quoted price total must be received prior to
shipping back the sample projector and shrouds to you.

I accept payment via money order or Pay Pal. If paying
through Pay Pal, I can only ship to the confirmed
address on the account. If you have any questions or
would like other custom mods then please let me know.
Thank you for your time and consideration in your
projector retro.

Regards,
John

If you do go with him, then only 1 of us have to send a sample to him. But which one... we'll have to arm wrestle to see :lol:

thomas91169 said:
its perfectly fine for a car to come with these from the factory, but illegal for those to install them when they want to achieve higher nightime vision and be safer to themselves and society by lengthening their viewing distances and accuracy at night.

It's not even the same thing. A car coming from the factory with HID's has a projector or reflector housing designed to create a proper cut-off line for the HID light. Halogen lights have lights designed for halogen lights. When you install an HID kit into a Halogen-based reflector headlamp, the light is nowhere near aimed correctly.

THIS is what a properly designed HID headlamp's cut-off line will look like. An aftermarket kit in a halogen housing will not produce the same cut-off
P1010005.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.