Anyone Paid To Have Their Bay Shaved?

InMyPrimeSVT

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2001
Cincinnati
Hey all...I was just wondering if any of you have paid to have your engine bay shaved and painted. I know I'm likely in the majority of people on this site that has minimal mechanical skills to do things on my own, so unfortunately, I have to pay for such thing. Care to share how much you paid?

• Sponsors (?)

Ive done about 15 engine bays for people over the years and it ranges between $1,500 and $2,000 depending on the condition it arrives in and the extent they want to take it. It takes between 75 to 100 hours to do it right. I have 140 hours in the one in my thread and its not even painted, but that is going overboard for what most will want. Hope this helps.

$2k for an engine bay job soup to nuts? That's a deal. Barely $30/hr less materials. Where in the world can you get body work done for that cheap?? Lol. After all the work my engine bay has been, I'd be charging at least twice that!

I just charge $20.00 an hour in labor on the engine bays. I can do as little or take it to the extreme. I am always looking for new customers. Its pretty cheap but otherwise no body could afford to do it and I love the work.

All I know us that it's a lot of work,but I know I'll feel better knowing I did it on my own. I've been working on mine for 8 months now and should be done with it after I mock up all the new stuff that wasn't there when I started.

To really see the benefits of a shaved bay, you really need to clean out the engine bay. I simply did some wire hiding in my Cobra conversion, and I can't see ANY of that work with the battery, air box and A/C hoses all over the place. Kinda sucks to feel like all that work I did was wasted.

I paid to have mine painted but did the rest myself. Easily had close to 100 hours in it, but total cost was under $150. I could have painted it myself, but it would have actually cost me more in materials than what my buddy charged me to paint it. I used the leftover paint from the engine bay to paint the block and some other misc. parts.

http://www.mustangaddiction.com/bay2.html
http://www.mustangaddiction.com/418pics.html

I did mine but I hated doing all that body work. I didn't get nuts like some people have done though. Just a wire tuck, some holes filled and a respray.

Before. Can't even see the firewall with all the spaghetti wires.
MustangSupercharged.jpg

The work after prep.
VibRedJoe1.jpg

VibPaintingMe.jpg

After. Now you can see the firewall.
Motor12-29-05.jpg