Anyone Police officers?

• Sponsors (?)

Pay depends on if you are state or local. Also your pay can go up if you work a lot of details.

They just did an article here in MA about state troopers (wo make $44-62K/year depending on time in service) making over $140K/year with details.

I'm not a cop....but looked into it a while back. State troopers will make more. You'll also make more as a metro cop than a small town cop. Some city cops make about 40-50k a year.

Is it worth it? Dunno since I'm not one....but I'd guess its like teaching. Best not be in it for the money or to be rich. Should be able to live comfy...but you'll never live in a $500k house on that salary. But you do get to play with guns and pull people over for no good reason and inspire many a posts on car forums such as this.:D

a buddy of mine is a cop in MA. he just got hooked up with a place for $25/mo. yes, twenty five dollars a month. nice 2 floor apartment, and the area is quiet. he works for a city with a bad reputation though. they give good deals to officers to help the neighborhood watch programs. he also went to college for criminal justice, and it boosted his starting pay, and he has a better chance of promotions. go to school, and you'll get better pay.

and like its was said, its all about the details. you can get paid like, $400 for an 8 hour detail. 2 of those per week is nice money, and usually, you arent doing a damn thing. maybe moving along traffic, but mostly, just being a presence. even if you are only needed for an hour, you still get paid for 4. if you are needed for 5 hours, you get paid for 8. details is where the money is.

my old neighbor raked in over 100Gs with pay plus details yearly. now he's a narc cop, which sounds pretty badass.

id like to be a cop, but i dont know if i want to be dealing with everyone else's headaches for a living. im trying to get on the fire department. 9th on the list in my city behind 8 veterans.

some of the requirements you would have to have and if its easy getting a job?

just look into your own states government department. they all differ state to state. you should find all the info and instructions to apply there. usually there is an application to fill out, followed by a written test, physical abilities test, interview or two, background checks on personality and criminal, psychological tests, and then an academy. its also a really really long process.

well, you might get some responses here on a mustang site, but your best bet is to ask questions on a law enforcement forum

i found one here that is pretty populated

http://forums.officer.com/forums/

google police forums for more. look for their region sections. im sure you can find an area dedicated to just chicago somewhere on the net.

i just found one on that site above that i posted:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154

ask them some q's. youll probably get better responses there than here.

"a buddy of mine is a cop in MA. he just got hooked up with a place for $25/mo. yes, twenty five dollars a month. nice 2 floor apartment, and the area is quiet. he works for a city with a bad reputation though"

Hey kaostik, thats pretty funny, he probably needs to shoot his way into his apartment at night.....I think i would pay a little more and not have people climbing in my windows.

Blood stains are tough to get out

a great New England site is www.masscops.com

and like its was said, its all about the details. you can get paid like, $400 for an 8 hour detail. 2 of those per week is nice money, and usually, you arent doing a damn thing. maybe moving along traffic, but mostly, just being a presence. even if you are only needed for an hour, you still get paid for 4. if you are needed for 5 hours, you get paid for 8. details is where the money is..

MA is a tough one to use as an example because it's the only state that requires construction details to use police officers instead of flagmen. All other 49 states can use a flagman for all but the most dangerous.

So instead of paying an officer $32-40 to sit in the car most of the time you pay a flagman $20 and save the taxpayer some cash.

That's why they were making a big deal of this in the Boston Globe last week. Deval won' touch the system though. Too early in his career.

It's a touchy subject though. I work in construction so we get a detail almost every day basically. There are days when i would rather have an officer than a flagman out there with us, and then there are the days when a flagman would be fine but instead a officer just sits in the cruiser all day long doing nothing. Then there are other days when you really don't even need a detail but they force you to get one anyway or they kick you off the road even if you are on a sidewalk or a seldom traveled side street. There is a lot of waste on the taxpayers behalf.

But, seeing as I don't pay the bill, i try to make friends with as many cops as i can :)

MA is a tough one to use as an example because it's the only state that requires construction details to use police officers instead of flagmen. All other 49 states can use a flagman for all but the most dangerous.

ahhh. yeah i didnt know that. thats why i directed him to his local government agency. i know most states vary, but i had no idea MA was the only one to do that. it really is a huge waste of taxpayers money. one example of many why its called taxachusetts.