anyone pulled thier own engine ?

68 & 00 GT

May 14, 2003
HOUSTON TEXAS
Well I'm not far off from ordering a shortblock, and since saving money is an issue, and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty I was thinking about taking this project on. I mean how hard can it be ? Anyone been there, done that, that can give me an idea of what it's all about ? I'd have a good local shop assemble the engine, and I'd reinstall it.
I have pulled my 302 in my 68 before, and compeltely disassemebled, rebuilt, reassembled, and reinstalled it, I've pulled, and reinstalled a trans in that car too. In my 2000 I've also installed all my exhaust including longtubes, all my suspension stuff, the entire blower system, all my fuel system, and a new PI intake (previous coolant runer cracked). Think I can handle it ? If so what all is onvloved in pulling, and reinstalling a 4.6 ? What to look out for / tips ?

thanks-

• Sponsors (?)

my brother and i pulled the engine out of my GT. the major sticking points are...

1. all the freaking wires and hoses. there's millions of them!

2. getting in a position to seperate the tranny from the engine. a lift will come in handy.

3. room. there is none. it's hard to reach some areas, especially the back of the engine from the top.

but this was with the engine intact because at that point, we didn't know what was wrong with my engine. since you know you are going to be replacing the shortblock, it should be much easier if you remove the heads and intake before removing the block. i don't think you'll have too much trouble. definetly worth not paying someone else. it just takes time.

68 & 00 GT said:
how long did it take to pull, and reinstall ?

hmmm, it was a little over a year ago so i can't remember exactley how long it took, but i think it was around 6 hours to remove doing it in my brother's garage. install was only about 4 hours. my brother is a Ford mechanic, so he knew what he was doing and had all the proper tools. since you have removed a 302, i would think that the 4.6L won't be too hard for you. it is a bit more work due to the added size and electronics crap, but it's the same concept.