Anyone put 6.5" speakers in their doors?

Nobody

Founding Member
May 9, 2000
Kenmore, WA
I was wondering if any of you stereo guys have done this. I wouldl ike to step up to a component setup and I'm wondering if it's possible to fabricate an adapter that will still fit behind the stock grille. Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

Shouldn't be a problem, there is good space behind the door cover. I am running Infinity Perfect 5-1/4 components, a tip for the tweeter... Remove the Mack 460 pod, on the back is an indention about the size of a quarter, drill a small hole into the indention and place a 1/2 - 5/8 in teardrop shaped piece of medium density plywood into the pod. Put a screw in the the hole you made to secure it and reassemble. Maybe not the best description, but once you have it apart, it will be apparent.

I have some pics at home, I will see if I can find them.

SN95GT50

LoudToy958 said:
I did this. I just used a 1/8" piece of masonite. I cut it using the factory speaker to draw the shape. From there its self explanitory. You should not have any issues getting components in there.

Can I use the original adapter with 6,5" speaker or will it hit the grille? I have 6,5" speakers in my garage but I havent installed them yet.

You can definately do it. Since I mounted my mid for the components in a kickpanel I placed my midbass speaker in the door. The depth on this speaker is much more than a typical component mid (It's kind of like a mini sub so it has a larger magnet and more depth). All I did was trace a cutout in 1" MDF from the enclosure that was in there stock and then made a cutout for the speaker inside that shape. I then mounted it up and screwed it in. It is extremely simple. Then for the tweeter I used the stock Mach tweeter mounts and used a plastic sheet that I made the shape of the stock tweeter. I used the same mounting holes as the stock tweeter for the plastic and then mounted the aftermarket tweeter to the plastic with a cutout in the middle of it. Then the old cover for the mach tweeter pops right on and it looks stock.

2327549_27_full.jpg

2327549_26_full.jpg

badstang - Were you able to mount the MDF plate using the factory speaker holes? How was it fitting the door panel over the extra thickness of the whole speaker assembly?

Thanks guys,
Gabe

Nobody said:
badstang - Were you able to mount the MDF plate using the factory speaker holes? How was it fitting the door panel over the extra thickness of the whole speaker assembly?

Thanks guys,
Gabe

I drilled new holes to mount it to the door. You could probably use the stock ones if you wanted. I just didn't want to take the time to line it up. I just took screws and drilled them through the wood right into the door. They went right through and hold very well. And if you ever took it off the holes are extremely small. I used 1" MDF and the door panel fits no problem. You just have to make sure the shape doesn't go to far out to the sides of the opening. If you look on the door panel where the grill is, behind it is kind of void place for the speaker. All around that is foam though. You have to make sure your shape you cutout and secure to the door is not going to overlap with that. As long as it fits there, your door panel will go on no problem. Once you pull the door panel off you'll see what I mean.