Anyone run a TFS Stage 1 cam w/ stock heads?

RWSTANG

R "Dubya" Stang
Founding Member
Dec 17, 1999
Troy, Mi
I just picked one up at a real good price and since i have my engine torn apart detailing and painting everything I figured i'd throw it in there. Anyone running one of these cams with the stock heads? Whats it like? I'm also gonna have a Typhoon intake on it as well. I do realize the heads will not match the cam but i couldn't resist. Thanks guys.

-Russ

• Sponsors (?)

I am running one with the stock heads (ported to the max, SS racecut valves and upgraded springs) on the 347. Also running 1.7 RRs. There is a lot of torque, you run out of power about 5 with things. Good for the street for sure, may not be the best time slips though through the 1/4 mile.

Well the car is not a race car and probably will not see the track. Its pretty much a show car that sees some street time here and there when its nice. I just love the sound of the stage 1 cam. Hows it idle and drive at low speed?

Another question...do you think its worth it to spend like $230 for 1.6 roller rockers or just stay with the stock ones since i'm not gonna be racing the car?

-Russ

Roller rockers are well worth the money!

idle, it is fine. the ECM puts it down to 750. Seems to be fine. But the motor is new, so I will mess with tuning it better later after a good break in. It does buck occasionally at low speeds. But again, the motor is not tuned as well as I would like it yet.

That will work well you need to upgrade the valve springs though. I would suggest the Crane 44308 kit it like $110.00 bucks for springs,retainers, and locks. That will make you good to .560 lift and keep your stock rockers they will do the job!!

while were on the topic i was wandering the same thing, i was gonna go with a small cam like the tfs-1 or e303, i know its better to have RR's, hardened pushrods, springs and all that, but what do i HAVE to have, the 88 is one of my DD's and just want better sound, i have all that in the 90 with a custom cam, but what do i need just cruise in it, plus i do have MAF in the 88 if that matters.

I can just use a set of pedestal mount roller rockers right? Do i need the 3/8 pedestal mounts for a direct swap from the stamped rockers?

-Russ

They don't make 3/8" pedestal mounts. You are confusing common stud mount sizes, which are 3/8" and 7/16".....with pedestal mount, which is not a stud. Pedestal mount rockers use a small 5/16" bolt.

Outside of giving you a nice lump at idle, it won't do much. When I bought my notch, it was stock motored with a TFS-1 cam; it definitely hurt the off-idle punch you have with the stock cam. Honestly can't say I noticed a difference otherwise.

That cam does require that you upgrade your stock valvesprings, so keep that in mind.