Anyone running a Toploader 4 speed?

• Sponsors (?)

They're big, they're heavy and they're a lot of work. Everything you currently have in the car now in regards to the tranny, bell housing and clutch needs to be removed. You will need all of the above and a clutch pedal arrangement to get it to work and it may not easily fit.

Most people remove a Toploader and install a T-5.

A top loader a WAY stronger than a T5. The case made above to keep a T5 is not very good. If you want a 5 speed, buy Tremec (not T5). They are similar in design to the top loaders. All of the stuff that was pointed out that you would have to change to run a top loader, would have to be changed to run a Tremec. The clutch linkage is the only thing that might need any thought at all.

Most people who remove their top loader for a T5 end up buying a Tremec.

The top loader & Tremec 3550/TKO all use the same bellhousing. The clutch is the same as the T5, along with the cable, the arm, throwout bearing & quadrant.

If you want a better trans, get a used Tremec 3550 or TKO. You won't break a 3550 on your car unless you shift without the clutch or some other dumb thing like run it with no oil. I have a 3550 and it is strong, smooth shifts fast and smooth. You can powershift all day long and not hurt it. I never lift to shift when I am full throttle flying.

That's why I run top loaders and Tremec's, I don't use the clutch.

I've never run a top loader with a cable clutch though. That's why I mentioned the linkage being the only thing that might need thought.

I forgot they use the same bell housing, thanks for reminding me.

Cliff :)

WLDHRSE said:
The case made above to keep a T5 is not very good.

I wasn't making a case for the T-5, just pointing out that switching to a Toploader isn't just a simple swap. My statement about swapping a TL for the T-5 is based on what I've seen. T-5, 3550 and TKO, they're all easier than a TL in a Fox body..

Maryland Stang said:
I wasn't making a case for the T-5, just pointing out that switching to a Toploader isn't just a simple swap. My statement about swapping a TL for the T-5 is based on what I've seen. T-5, 3550 and TKO, they're all easier than a TL in a Fox body..
It's casual. :nice: Sorry if that came out wrong.

I just never recomend a T5 to anybody for any reason. They are just junk. I have an extra top loader I might throw in one of my foxes just to see about hooking up the clutch cable. Everything else is cake. I always figured if there was an issue that I would just run a hydraulic clutch or throw out bearing. But I've never had a reason to run a top loader in a fox.

Cliff :)