Anyone Running Boost On 10.1?

smkshw

5 Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
hey guys,i got a good deal on a brand new vortec s3 i couldnt pass it up...problem is just built my motor recently with 10.1.1,its a 331 stroker with afr185s and a xe274hr comp cam,its a decent set up as is but?
i now have this vortec sitting in a room brand new in a box?!....can?...would you?...and should i?... run low boost for a while with a new tune?...so i dont have to go back into my engine so soon??....i have it so eventualy i will re think my set up,but if i can run it as is for a while, it would be nice also!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running 9-10 psi on alum heads with closer to 10.5 cr. On 93 octane. It is turbo with an intercooler though. The trick is watching your spark curve and not getting to greedy there. If you don't use a cooler and you go over 4 psi look into meth injection. When I get my dart shortblock built and turn the boost up, it'll get meth injection.

Aluminum heads could save you on this, ...do it!!! Hahaha
Seriously someone more qualified than me, but.... i hope it works for ya, always curious about high compression with low boost!!
me too,i searched the web and talked to ppl,and obviously most ppl say not too,but some say that low boost would be fine!,like im talking 5-7 psi,i have it and if it can give me a few extra ponies for a couple summers before i tare into it again why not?
so just want some fresh thoughts thanks guys!

I'm running 9-10 psi on alum heads with closer to 10.5 cr. On 93 octane. It is turbo with an intercooler though. The trick is watching your spark curve and not getting to greedy there. If you don't use a cooler and you go over 4 psi look into meth injection. When I get my dart shortblock built and turn the boost up, it'll get meth injection.
we posted at the same time...
ya looked at a meth kit also...

and hey?...lets say it was fine to run with my motor,its makes 356rwhp,and 378tq....what would 5-7 psi give me around?...would it even be worth it?
thanks again

and hey?...lets say it was fine to run with my motor,its makes 356rwhp,and 378tq....what would 5-7 psi give me around?...would it even be worth it?
thanks again

1 bar = 14.xx psi. That's one atmosphere. With zero parasitic loss, 14 psi boost effectively doubles hp output. At 7 psi figure 50% more hp, (in your case,534 hp) using a blower, figure in your percentage for parasitic loss.. there's your number.

1 bar = 14.xx psi. That's one atmosphere. With zero parasitic loss, 14 psi boost effectively doubles hp output. At 7 psi figure 50% more hp, (in your case,534 hp) using a blower, figure in your percentage for parasitic loss.. there's your number.
thanks for info....well you see that is tempting!...lol,especialy since the sc is in my house!
just to be sure?....too the wheels or flywheel?

Math is math. I figured off of the hp number you said you were making.. 356 rwhp. So the wheels.

7 psi will increase hp x 50%
14psi... 100%

etc, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys,i got a good deal on a brand new vortec s3 i couldnt pass it up...problem is just built my motor recently with 10.1.1,its a 331 stroker with afr185s and a xe274hr comp cam,its a decent set up as is but?
i now have this vortec sitting in a room brand new in a box?!....can?...would you?...and should i?... run low boost for a while with a new tune?...so i dont have to go back into my engine so soon??....i have it so eventualy i will re think my set up,but if i can run it as is for a while, it would be nice also!

No. You need to sell it to me...:jester:

As long as you keep the boost low and have a good BTM with 93 you should be fine.

No. You need to sell it to me...:jester:

As long as you keep the boost low and have a good BTM with 93 you should be fine.
haha...im keeping it sorry...lol
well its pullied for 8-10psi i think right now,i have to look into a 5-7psi pully then,but from the numbers boosted92lx said id be happy with 5psi!

haha...im keeping it sorry...lol
well its pullied for 8-10psi i think right now,i have to look into a 5-7psi pully then,but from the numbers boosted92lx said id be happy with 5psi!

Don't forget you will have some parasitic loss, so the numbers will be a little lower. It takes power to turn that supercharger, and that's power that doesn't find it's way to the tires. I'd try it on 10 psi and see.

Don't forget you will have some parasitic loss, so the numbers will be a little lower. It takes power to turn that supercharger, and that's power that doesn't find it's way to the tires. I'd try it on 10 psi and see.
ya i hear you,im going to go talk to the guy that tuned my car and see what he thinks.....wish i could run with 10psi safely,but thats doubtful,maybe with a meth kit who knows though.

ya i hear you,im going to go talk to the guy that tuned my car and see what he thinks.....wish i could run with 10psi safely,but thats doubtful,maybe with a meth kit who knows though.

I think you just need to watch your iat's and your spark curve. If your iats are too high, that's the killer. You'll need some kind of cooling be it meth or an intercooler if they are too high. Like you said, your tuner should be able to tell you.

@smkshw

So with a 331 cid engine putting out 356 rwhp you still need a "blue pill" (vortech) on top of that to get it up?
i dont "need" it....its a blast already,but im rolling with some big boys out here and im the lower midle of the goup....if i can make it "more" fun why not?...and i had some extra cash from working like a dog so instead of a trip i bought a sc...lol
originaly i said a stroker would be good enough but you get used to it fast!