Anyone swaped out the solid rear for IRS??

1992 2.3LX

Dec 5, 2002
Ky
I have a 96 and was wondering how hard it would be to put an IRS in place of the solid rear.

Any write ups on this or a list of what all is needed? I couldn't find much in a search

• Sponsors (?)

Not a big deal. Look for a cobra guy who wants to swap the other way (although your parts are a bit old). I had the option to swap at one point but couldnt be bothered with it - I like my current set-up a lot.

I think you need a new cat-back and the entire IRS including shocks and springs etc. but I'm no expert by any means - I would have had my mechanic friend do the swap for me.

I've done it like 4 times (twice on my car, two other times on other peoples cars). For an SN you will need to either drill holes in the frame rails and weld in nuts for the rear upper subframe brackets, or weld them on (if you weld them, get reinforcement plates too). The catack will need to be modded for the tips also.

I've done it like 4 times (twice on my car, two other times on other peoples cars).
Impressive :nice:

Its funny I see lots of guys on SVTP wanting solids and lots of guys on SN wanting IRS. Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side :D

Anyways, if you want an IRS it should not be too hard to find some Cobra owner who thinks he needs a straight line track beast...

I will tell you right now my Cobra is a thousand times better on the corners than the GT was.