anyone thats done 4banger-302 swap

im getting ready to do a swap on my 89' 4banger. i need to know if i was missing anything i might need to compete the swap. heres what i got so far.

1.carbed 302(complete)
2. computer
3.AOD tranny
4.engine and tranny mounts
5.driveshaft AOD-7.5 rear
6.8.8 rear (optional)
7.10hole rims

I know im missing a bunch, so some help out would be great. its my first swap and i only know thw basics. Thanx in advance. :flag: :flag: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

89' RICE COOKER said:
im getting ready to do a swap on my 89' 4banger. i need to know if i was missing anything i might need to compete the swap. heres what i got so far.

1.carbed 302(complete)
2. computer
3.AOD tranny
4.engine and tranny mounts
5.driveshaft AOD-7.5 rear
6.8.8 rear (optional)
7.10hole rims

I know im missing a bunch, so some help out would be great. its my first swap and i only know thw basics. Thanx in advance. :flag: :flag: :flag:

I'm thinking about converting an 88 coupe 4cyl car I've got also. I'm just going to take all the parts off of a wrecked 93 lx 5.0 car I've got. I've got all the suspension and drivetrain with the exception of the 5 speed from the 93. I'm planning on just dropping the whole k member with all the suspension bolted on and swapping it. Then the next thing will be swapping the rear ends. I'm still debating on keeping the efi or putting a carb on it. You really won't need anymore than what you listed to do the swap. You might run into some little odds and ends like swapping the instrument panels and such. But other than that I believe it's pretty much a straightforward swap.

You will need to do new break lines coming from the joint on passenger side firewall to the back of the car, new fuel lines (4cyl break and fuel lines come way too close to the muffler that you will be putting on).

I kept mine EFI but if you are going carbed I think you will need a different fuel pump and possibly have to tap the fuel tank with new lines.

Breaks are important but not a must, same with suspension, it will work but your front end will be lower if you use the current 4cyl springs and it will be bouncier too.

What I had to do:
break lines
power break booster (optional)
power steering
fuel lines
suspension (optional)
breaks
engine
tranny
rear end (and e break cables - they differ from 89 to 93)
computer
new wiring harness for 93 (engine was 89)
coil (and mount)
vacuum tree
master vacuum cylinder (control unit for cruse *in driver side fender by firewall*
vacuum reservoirs (in passenger side fender)
alternator harness (includes headlights) I did use my original one and spliced the wires to the alternator.
quad shock mounts
quad shocks
new rear struts
fan & fan clutch
fan shroud and radiator overflow tank
V-8 Tachometer (tach will read 1/2 of what the engine RPM is actually at if you use the 4cyl one)
V-8 Spedometer
motor mounts

I would suggest going to a 3 core radiator but the 2 core will do all right for now if your on a budget.

I used my existing K-member
tranny mount (5spd)

Ill add more if I can think of anything else, hope this helps some :nice:

afast93stang said:
You will need to do new break lines coming from the joint on passenger side firewall to the back of the car, new fuel lines (4cyl break and fuel lines come way too close to the muffler that you will be putting on).

I kept mine EFI but if you are going carbed I think you will need a different fuel pump and possibly have to tap the fuel tank with new lines.

Breaks are important but not a must, same with suspension, it will work but your front end will be lower if you use the current 4cyl springs and it will be bouncier too.

What I had to do:
break lines
power break booster (optional)
power steering
fuel lines
suspension (optional)
breaks
engine
tranny
rear end (and e break cables - they differ from 89 to 93)
computer
new wiring harness for 93 (engine was 89)
coil (and mount)
vacuum tree
master vacuum cylinder (control unit for cruse *in driver side fender by firewall*
vacuum reservoirs (in passenger side fender)
alternator harness (includes headlights) I did use my original one and spliced the wires to the alternator.
quad shock mounts
quad shocks
new rear struts
fan & fan clutch
fan shroud and radiator overflow tank
V-8 Tachometer (tach will read 1/2 of what the engine RPM is actually at if you use the 4cyl one)
V-8 Spedometer
motor mounts

I would suggest going to a 3 core radiator but the 2 core will do all right for now if your on a budget.

I used my existing K-member
tranny mount (5spd)

Ill add more if I can think of anything else, hope this helps some :nice:

yeah ive almost got my 88 coupe running and just about what he said is right. also the rack and pinion is different. but why would you need a computer if you're going carbed? :shrug:

I think that I can just use all the 93 parts to put on my coupe. Even though the 93 was rolled, all the accessories are still good on it. I can use the tank, fuel lines, brake booster and brake cables. Of course I can use all the suspension if I don't go with some tubular stuff. I'm planning on just swapping the whole rear end from the 93 to the coupe. I've got just about 90% of the parts I need to complete the swap. The only things I need are exhaust, clutch, clutch fork, cable, crossmember and bellhousing. I think that's all I need. The only thing about the 4 cylinder car is that the brake and clutch pedals are real close to each other.......... I didn't notice that until I drove it tonight.......... Kinda sucks, but oh well.......

I also found out that both the 4cyl and the 5.0 cars use the same fuel pumps. I'm wondering if the lines are the same too. If that's the case, then I'll just leave the car fuel injected. Does anyone know if the lines are the same?? I'm trying to save a little time and money, so anything that's on the coupe that I can use I would like to leave on it. I guess I just need to jack up the coupe and investigate it in the morning.

1bad92lx said:
I also found out that both the 4cyl and the 5.0 cars use the same fuel pumps. I'm wondering if the lines are the same too. If that's the case, then I'll just leave the car fuel injected. Does anyone know if the lines are the same?? I'm trying to save a little time and money, so anything that's on the coupe that I can use I would like to leave on it. I guess I just need to jack up the coupe and investigate it in the morning.

Where did you find that info? The Dealer near me told me that the pumps are not the same and gave me a sheet with both part numbers on it. The fuel lines are not the same, on the 2.3 they cross over the the driver side of the engine bay. I didn't change my brake lines, i had someone make an adapter to use the 2.3 lines, saved time.

I just went through all this in Dec. 89 notch 2.3 auto to 5.0 5 speed (FI)
Both cars were 89, so that helped

Hey misticfire, I called a local Advance auto parts and got them to cross reference a 87 2.3 fuel pump with a 87 5.0 fuel pump and she got the same part number for both. So that means that they should be the same from the factory if the aftermarkets are the same. Another thought I had, should I be worried about using the 4cyl. brakes with the added weight of the 302 on the nose? I've got the v8 k-member with all the brakes and stuff, but I was trying to shortcut some things to save time.

later,

Matt

the fuel lines are different the the v8 the v8 lines run on the passenger side the 4 cyl runs on the driverside im just about done with this swap all i need is the headlight harness and drop the new motor in it a 306 with tfs heads tfs stage 2 cam 10.1 cr so on so on with the tko 5 speed mine is fuelinjected