Anyone use a Weiand 71 series blower?

• Sponsors (?)

I had mine on my car for years, never once had an issue with law enforcement.

There are times I really miss my 6-71 setup, was a lot of fun.

blown1.jpg

That looks awesome. It reminds me of the GTO on "My Science Project". Who remembers that movie?

Thats a really horrible build they did. You could have used a set of decent heads on that 347, bump it to 10.5-1 compression and put down much more then that. Hell even a stock headed short block with a S-trim would have put down more then that.

re read the article. 381 hp ONLY 4 psi... centrificles are not even close. blowers provide better powercurve & more top end with less psi.
sure they require more to turn, they are noisy, lack of intercooler. but they are cool, intimidating, more power, simple to install, & much cheaper

why is it the fastest cars in the world use blowers instead of turbos :rolleyes:

everyone has there favorite for whatever reason, blowers are my cup of tea.

re read the article. 381 hp ONLY 4 psi... centrificles are not even close. blowers provide better powercurve & more top end with less psi.
sure they require more to turn, they are noisy, lack of intercooler. but they are cool, intimidating, more power, simple to install, & much cheaper

why is it the fastest cars in the world use blowers instead of turbos :rolleyes:

everyone has there favorite for whatever reason, blowers are my cup of tea.

WOW! Everything you've posted is completely wrong except your opinion on looks.

Centrificals and Blowers? What are you talking about? "Blower" is slang for supercharger, "Centrifical" is a type of supercharger.

A Roots style supercharger is only good at lower boost levels. They become very inefficient at higher boost levels.

A roots style SC is no easier to install than any other type of SC. They are NOT cheaper.

A roots style SC does produce boost at much lower RPM. Which is great if you're into doing burnouts at every light. When it comes to practical use, traction is usually an issue and you can't actually use that low end power anyway.

The worlds fastest vehicles are turbo powered vehicles. Bar NONE except classes where turbos are outlawed. Turbos are the most efficient power adder by a long shot and efficiency is what matters most when trying to build big power.

About the only thing I can agree with you on is that a roots style supercharger does look freaking cool and intimidating. Although if you've ever driven a car with a big x-71 series blower sticking out of the hood you soon learn to hate how much of your view it blocks. But looks asside, there is very little benifit to a roots style SC when compared to other options.

1.) centrificles are not even close. blowers provide better powercurve & more top end with less psi.

2.) why is it the fastest cars in the world use blowers instead of turbos :rolleyes:

1.) Rootes blowers make a better torque curve, but more top-end power with less boost? You must be thinking of centrifugal compressors.

2.) You must be thinking of Top Fuel. The answer is....because the rules don't allow turbos. :rolleyes:

With the EFI on mine it didn't block the view too bad and never bothered me when it had carbs on it.

Centrifigal blowers and street setup turbo cars really bore me, I love the low end tq of roots style blowers. Just like the Shelby vs something with a procharger/vortech etc etc. Sure you can get a twin turbo deal to perform pretty damn well but at a pretty heafty cost.

Fastest cars in ProMod are supercharged and nitrous. There is one car running big MPH though, but still not at the ET's of the other cars. I'm sure once he gets it figured out better it might be the class leader though.

Top Fuel and turbos, rules or not I just cant see holding up to that. lol

I think you would have a heck of a time getting a turbo that would make top fuel horse power and still able to spool quick enough to make a 4 second run. Figure the fastest turbo cars run low 6's?

I know there is that gear drive twin F-2 and F-3 Setup that i believe went faster then the twin turbo setup. At a minimum, you have a lot of personal opinion here.

For me, a huge blower sticking out of the hood has cool factor, but i cant say i would personally do it.
Huge low torque power, but upper RPM's have a flat spot.

Turbo's dont have the same low end power, but the top end is where they come alive. Which is why turbo's usually have a higher MPH in the 1/4 mile then n/a or sc cars.

Centrifical doesn't have the greatest low end either till the boost comes on. Ease of installation, ease of tuning, price, and garenteed boost and certain rpm is their pro.

I love turbo's, i probably would have already had one, if space was not at such a primium in the 65 engine bay. But really, it was a pita to get a S trim to fit in there with the 351. Im pretty sure after this setup, ill probably switch to a dart block 347 and a F1 or YSI. Headers suck so bad with a 351 with aftermarket heads.

Very little that works on a pro mod or top fueler translates to what works on a street car. If you look at the tire limited classes turbos do just fine even though a lot of classes limit the turbo cars to less cubes and small turbos. Low end tq is no problem with an auto trans and a turbo. The converter lets the engine get into boost quickly. If low end tq was a problem with a turbo, how did my car run 6.90s with a 3.08 gear off the foot brake?

A 1.58 60'. It now has Caltracs and a trans brake. I expect to go a little faster now. And you drive your's to the track 50 miles, let some air out of the tires, race it shifting at 5500, put air in the tires and drive home? On pump gas? How is the rear gear and converter on the interstate? 4500rpm at 70mph? That would get old. Our cars are apples and oranges. When it cools down a bit I will finish up a few things and get it back to the track.

A 1.58 60'. It now has Caltracs and a trans brake. I expect to go a little faster now. And you drive your's to the track 50 miles, let some air out of the tires, race it shifting at 5500, put air in the tires and drive home? On pump gas? How is the rear gear and converter on the interstate? 4500rpm at 70mph? That would get old. Our cars are apples and oranges. When it cools down a bit I will finish up a few things and get it back to the track.

lol, I was just poking fun at you. Dont get all serious on me. :)

I do drive mine to the track though, on drag radials. Let air out then drive it home. On race gas however.