Anyone using Comp Cams "High Energy" 268H?

I'm considering a camshaft change. Right now, I have a bone stock 65 289 4V with an Edelbrock carb. I'm trying to be realistic about my cam choice. I want the sound but also don't want to change heads, springs, etc.

Here's the combo I'm considering.
-Comp Cams 31-218-2 268H Comp Cams 31-218-2 - Comp Cams 'High Energy' Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts - JEGS
-Summit High Rise Intake Manifold (Basically an F4B or Cobra or Performer RPM, all the same)
-Holley S.A. 670
-Stock 289 heads (pre-66)

Cam Specs Below:

Operating Range: 1500-5500 RPM
Duration Advertised: 268° Intake / 268° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 218° Intake / 218° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.6 Rockers: .456'' Intake / .456'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 110°

Anyone else have this cam? The notes say "noticeable idle" so I'm hoping you will be able to hear it. I'm really not trying to build a race car here, just a nice cruiser that sounds like a 60's muscle car. Will this do? I can't seem to find any videos or sound clips of cars with this cam...

• Sponsors (?)

ive been running that camshaft for 2 years now, and its been pretty good.
its a lil small for my setup now, so im sure itll be great for stock heads,
upgraded springs are probably still a good idea,
ill post ya a vid of the idle when i get home later:nice:

I'm considering a camshaft change. Right now, I have a bone stock 65 289 4V with an Edelbrock carb. I'm trying to be realistic about my cam choice. I want the sound but also don't want to change heads, springs, etc.

Here's the combo I'm considering.
-Comp Cams 31-218-2 268H Comp Cams 31-218-2 - Comp Cams 'High Energy' Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts - JEGS
-Summit High Rise Intake Manifold (Basically an F4B or Cobra or Performer RPM, all the same)
-Holley S.A. 670
-Stock 289 heads (pre-66)

Cam Specs Below:

Operating Range: 1500-5500 RPM
Duration Advertised: 268° Intake / 268° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 218° Intake / 218° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.6 Rockers: .456'' Intake / .456'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 110°

Anyone else have this cam? The notes say "noticeable idle" so I'm hoping you will be able to hear it. I'm really not trying to build a race car here, just a nice cruiser that sounds like a 60's muscle car. Will this do? I can't seem to find any videos or sound clips of cars with this cam...

If you're just trying for sound, you may want to look into Compcam's new(er) Thumper line. They're basically designed for exactly what you just said you wanted. However, now that I think about it when I was doing my cam swap they only had them for small chevy's, so that might not be an option.

Of the older cam lines, I believe the Magnums were supposed to be lumpier than the High Energy ones, so you migth want to ask about the Magnum 270H. Just looking at the 270H's #'s (1800-5800, 270/270, 224/224, .500/.500, 110 LSA), it looks slightly more agressive than the 268H and I think will sound a bit lumpier.

The Xtreme energy line will probably make the most power but, as I can attest to, they aren't very 'lumpy'. They sound mean, to be sure, but in a slightly different way.

One small advantage to the 268H over the 270H is that the 268's lift shouldn't require you to change out any valvetrain components (springs, rockers, etc). Most cam manufacturers tell you to get an adjustable (ie roller & stud) drivetrain if you get above .470 lift, and the 268H is about as close as you can get.

I put a 268H in a couple of 302s back around 1980. One was in a '67 Galaxy and the other was in a 75 Maverick. It's a great little cam, perfect for a 302 or 289. Very streetable, yet a noticeable idle (especially on a 289) and a lot more power than the stock cam. With a properly sized carb (I'd go with an Autolite 470) you will have great throttle response. The Maverick was an absolute blast as it was much lighter than the big Galaxy.

excellent cam even by todays standards, good low end, great power and mileage, slight lope on 289-302's and even 351w's and very easy on the valve train, can be use with stock heads.

The only thing to be careful about is not to run more than 9-9.5 compession or they will ping like crazy unless you back off timing an then no power.

I have the Xtream Energy 270 version and it is sweet. Nice low end torque, and it sounds sweet with Dynomax Super Turbos.

Then again, mine's a bit more modified, roller and EFI... so maybe not a good comparison??? :rolleyes: