Anyone using M&H 275/50R17 Drag Radial?

xtweakerx

Feb 26, 2007
Jupiter,FL
Anyone in here using M&H 275/50R17 Drag Radial?

I had some issues using them last season w/ finding the right pressure,burnout and hooking.

I was hooking almost the same as my street tire, roughly 2.0 60 foot.

Now the real kicker is, anyone using them w/ the stock 3:55 gears and/or stock suspenion?

I've yet to change either.

The tire is one inch taller than stock, so it's bringing down my 3:55 gear ratio down some, which is prob hurting me.

I will evenually upgrade to 4:10's but not yet, and Evenually get some lower control arms.

Now last year i went to the track bone stock w/ the drag radials and flowmasters and best time was 13.90 @ 101 w/ like 2.0 60 foot. And that was at like 15psi,

i was told to run between 16-22, and most guys like 19psi.

Just want to hear what others are doing w/ the same time of setup.

This year i'm going back but w/ a C&L Intake (racer) & SCT tune which im waiting to get from Brenspeed.

Also guys w/ similar setup in a 5speed, what are u launching at? And u guys out there w/ a pretty stock setup using intake+tune, what are u shifting at?

Thanks a million. :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

Don_W who resides on a few other boards runs those with no apparent problems. Might want to look him up. What are you launching at? With 3.55's you could be launching at over 5k with no problems. You're probably not launching high enough.

LCA's are very cheap. All you need are some non-adjustable tubular LCA's. BMR, Spoohn, Steeda, etc... they can all be had for less than $150 and are easy to install. But they're not necessary to launch properly with drag radials. You'll launch BETTER with the LCA's, but you'll be able to launch at 4k-5k with stock suspension.

Really you should be heating up your tires in 2nd gear, but with stock gears and no line lock, it's next to impossible. If you can't burn them in second, drop the hammer, look for smoke, hold for 5-8 seconds, then pull forward. Try launching at 4500 and go up or down from there.

I have an all stock suspension. My 07 GT is an automatic, but with 4.10's and a big stall converter (flashes to 4300 rpm's at launch!), so it launches much like a manual trans GT. I use BFG 275/40/17 drag radials, and even with the stock suspension I'm putting down sixty foot times in the 1.80's every time, bar none. Worst sixty foot time has been 1.899, with a best of 1.833. I run my BFG d/r's at 26 psi. Any lower than that and they are too underinflated and only the outer edges of the tread touch the pavement. Any higher, and only the center of the tread touches the pavement. 26 psi seems to be my car's magic spot for traction. I do a 2nd gear burnout in the box before pulling up to the lights. 1st gear is never enough to fully heat the tires.

I talk to a lot of other Mustang owners in the staging lanes about tires and pressure, and it seems that every car needs something a little different (maybe based on power, weight, suspension, etc.). so it takes some practice to find what works for each car. My '03 Mach 1 worked best (same exact d/r's) at about 20 psi. My '68 Pontiac GTO (true slicks) worked best at 10-15 psi. My '95 Dakota Sport (true slicks) worked best at about 18 psi.

Not to put anybody down, but 1.9 60 fts with drag radials dont seem to good to me????. I have been cutting 1.8X 60 fts on the stock BFG 18's and completly stock suspension(except for prototype springs from Eibach).

Is there anymore left in that drag radial or is that the best it can do??? im in the market for some, but those dont seem like they will help me.

Not to put anybody down, but 1.9 60 fts with drag radials dont seem to good to me????. I have been cutting 1.8X 60 fts on the stock BFG 18's and completly stock suspension(except for prototype springs from Eibach).

Is there anymore left in that drag radial or is that the best it can do??? im in the market for some, but those dont seem like they will help me.

Your suspension is not completely stock if you have Eibach springs (I'm assuming some sort of drag launch spring). My suspension is completely stock and I'm in a heavy, well-optioned GT with Automatic. I run 1.8's all day long, every time with my automatic GT on drag radials. I've run 1.8's a couple times on the factory 18" BFG KDWS tires, but I had to melt them to do it, whereas I just need a quick spin in 2nd gear to clean off the d/r's to do it. Less wear and tear on the car and tires, and super consistent, so definitely worth it to have d/r's.

My '68 Pontiac GTO on slicks (not just drag radials) and 500+ lb ft torque pulled 1.6's to the 60' line. My '03 Mach 1 on drag radials and about 370 lb ft torque ran 1.7's and 1.8's to the 60' line. So, I certainly do not expect an S197 GT with only 340 lb ft torque to match that, and am quite happy running 1.8's. Maybe I'm just a big fish in a small pond, but at our local track I never see any other S197 GT's (manuals or automatics) that post better 60' times than my car. I'm sure with a lot of suspension mods there are improvements to be had in my car's short times, but not that much, perhaps 1.7's with a full weight car like mine? I'm not sure that the cost justifies the very limited improvement.

Your suspension is not completely stock if you have Eibach springs (I'm assuming some sort of drag launch spring). My suspension is completely stock and I'm in a heavy, well-optioned GT with Automatic. I run 1.8's all day long, every time with my automatic GT on drag radials. I've run 1.8's a couple times on the factory 18" BFG KDWS tires, but I had to melt them to do it, whereas I just need a quick spin in 2nd gear to clean off the d/r's to do it. Less wear and tear on the car and tires, and super consistent, so definitely worth it to have d/r's.
My springs are not a drag type, just Sportline, but before they made the sportline, they used my car for R&D.My car is a heavier car being a convertible and fully optioned with a trunkfull of stereo crap. I wouldnt say i melt my tires in the water,actually less of a burnout has worked better for me, but they do get abused once a week at the track, but have lasted me 30K miles so far.

I was just wonder if theres any need to spend money on tires if thers no gain in it for me:shrug:

My springs are not a drag type, just Sportline, but before they made the sportline, they used my car for R&D.My car is a heavier car being a convertible and fully optioned with a trunkfull of stereo crap. I wouldnt say i melt my tires in the water,actually less of a burnout has worked better for me, but they do get abused once a week at the track, but have lasted me 30K miles so far.

I was just wonder if theres any need to spend money on tires if thers no gain in it for me:shrug:

Yes, I do believe there's a need for d/r's for your car: consistency. I imagine that your 60's times vary a lot, and are not 1.8's every time. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that on my factory tires I could not count on pulling 1.8's or 1.9's everytime, and would get the occasional 2.0 or worse. Plus, I couldn't launch full throttle on the factory tires, whereas I can with the d/r's.

Yes, I do believe there's a need for d/r's for your car: consistency. I imagine that your 60's times vary a lot, and are not 1.8's every time. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that on my factory tires I could not count on pulling 1.8's or 1.9's everytime, and would get the occasional 2.0 or worse. Plus, I couldn't launch full throttle on the factory tires, whereas I can with the d/r's.
True, not consistent, but usually lower then 2.0 and leave slipping the clutch at about 3000 rpm.

guess i'll see what Santa brings(or what i buy myslef):rolleyes: