Anyone want to talk me out of going carbed?

crazypete said:
One word of advice.....compressed air all of the passages on a used carb. You never know how well someone took care of their old carb. It could have been sitting for months and have black goo on the bottom. I got a gummy carb that looked ok from the outside but had like black tar inside all the passages (was this guy running diesel through the carb?). Meanwhile, I sold a carb that was spotless and gleaming inside. You never know with a used carb.

So soak that puppy in carb cleaner then blast out all the passages.

Amen brother. My friend after carbing his car and buying a used carb said the most important thing to me _BUY A NEW CARB, for the reasons stated above. His carb had the air bleeds drilled and a bunch of ofther stuff, really just fubared up. He couldt get his car to run woth a crap. Thats why I shelled out the dough for a new 750 HP. Plus, I dont want to take any chances with the nitrous. Should see tens though :banana: :banana: untill my t-5 explodes :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

There's no EFI system that can mix air and fuel like a carb. That's why identical setups will always make more power with a carb. Atomization. That's the key. Injecting fuel right into the end of the intake runner right before it enters the cylinder doesn't give the fuel time to mix like it does with a carb. A friend of mine who runs in the NMRA confirmed my theory saying alot of the top racers are changing to smaller injectors and work them way high in their duty cycle to try to get a finer better atomized charge and they're picking up hp with it. The only way I'd stay injected for a Street/Strip application is if you were 1. supercharging 2. If you needed to for State emission laws. 3. Just like EFI. Just my opinion.

You can pass the sniffer with a carb too. You need the PERFECT mixture and a fresh set of aftermarket cats like catco 3 ways. Then you turn up the smogpump with a smaller pulley.

Afterwards, you downjet to get it leaner and get better gas milage. Add a 9.5 powervalve to get the gas flowing when you need it but cruise lean. I managed to get 20 mpg driving around the mountains with 3.73's, a 3k stall, automatic, 570 street avenger carb running 54/65 jets, 6.5 powervalve, hauling an entire cabinfull of equiptment, a mound of firewood, all my tools, 2 campers and dragging the driver's side front brake the whole way apparently (siezed caliper). Pretty good, huh?

crazypete said:
You can pass the sniffer with a carb too. You need the PERFECT mixture and a fresh set of aftermarket cats like catco 3 ways. Then you turn up the smogpump with a smaller pulley.

Afterwards, you downjet to get it leaner and get better gas milage. Add a 9.5 powervalve to get the gas flowing when you need it but cruise lean. I managed to get 20 mpg driving around the mountains with 3.73's, a 3k stall, automatic, 570 street avenger carb running 54/65 jets, 6.5 powervalve, hauling an entire cabinfull of equiptment, a mound of firewood, all my tools, 2 campers and dragging the driver's side front brake the whole way apparently (siezed caliper). Pretty good, huh?

In PA now they require a visual check where all origional emission components have to be present. Go figure, they don't even do a running test where I live, just the visual. And yes 20 mpg is awesome under those conditions. My '04 F-150 gets 14 on a trip with no load.

EMW150 said:
In PA now they require a visual check where all origional emission components have to be present. Go figure, they don't even do a running test where I live, just the visual. And yes 20 mpg is awesome under those conditions. My '04 F-150 gets 14 on a trip with no load.

You seem to already have a 4-eye from your avatar but I swapped noses from a 1991 gt nose to an 85 lx nose so it looks like it's supposed to be an older carbed model. If theyre not that sharp, they wont notice the registration says 1991.

LONG LIVE THE 4 EYES!

crazypete said:
You seem to already have a 4-eye from your avatar but I swapped noses from a 1991 gt nose to an 85 lx nose so it looks like it's supposed to be an older carbed model. If theyre not that sharp, they wont notice the registration says 1991.

LONG LIVE THE 4 EYES!

:nice: The '85 nose is my personal favorite.

Wow, thanks everyone for all your responses. The carb vs. efi, AFR vs. TFS, 331 vs. 347, ect, ect debates get a little beat to death but every situation is different. I like EFI, and in most cases I would never consider otherwise. Even with a supercharger or turbo, these blow-thru carbs are really starting to get favor.

I was watching the Eengine Builders Challenge on the Speed Channel today. (A day off, wow, it feels so good!!) The rules were very simple, no more than 400cid, 92 octane, no poweradders, and one or two other small rules. They were judged by average power through the powerband. 2000rpm up. There were Fords, and Chevy's, all smallblocks, but they were all carbed. There were no rules about what fuel delivery system, they had electronics (MSD ignitions and such) but not one was EFI. Of course they weren't being judged by emmisions, drivability, or gas milege, but like I said, not my concern though.

Look at 393bird's setup, cant' beat that. :nice:

People who have gone carb, except the ones that did if for their D/D's, all are very glad they did.

I am 90/10 towards going carb.

Let me post this one more time....

fuelfitting2.jpg

Attachments

• fuelfitting2.jpg
    fuelfitting2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 47
I did it went from EFI to carb and love it. I bought a complete jet kit and spent a day at the track and got pretty dead on set up. Also love the clean look. Dont get me wrong for a D/D id go EFI but For a strip car carb set up seem best

brands5.0 said:
I did it went from EFI to carb and love it. I bought a complete jet kit and spent a day at the track and got pretty dead on set up. Also love the clean look. Dont get me wrong for a D/D id go EFI but For a strip car carb set up seem best

Whats it run?

really? didnt know that. only bought the filter on a hope and a prayer that my stock hood may clear it. it looks close, but i am more concerned on getting it running before i worry about hood clearance

Drunk5oh said:
really? didnt know that. only bought the filter on a hope and a prayer that my stock hood may clear it. it looks close, but i am more concerned on getting it running before i worry about hood clearance

Get a nice round holly, I think 14". The one you have I've seen on fire on a few cars. I think theres an article on this somewhere. Honestly 2nd, they are as pretty to look at as the nice chrome round filters either. You can add a good K/N filter to your setup that way. By the way, Carbs are best.

Drunk5oh said:

Have any other pictures, Is your radiator hiding?

Wow these carb engine pics are making me drool. Yup, I think a carb setup is what I want to do. Should I try to sell my EFI stuff togeather. It would be badass if someone would just buy my whole setup and I wouldn't have to worry about it, especiall if they were local. That's probally not going ot happen.