Anyone want to try this? (Change clock color)

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Well I was reading on the maxima forums (don't ask why) and came across this nifty thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=207107&page=1&pp=30
What the guy did was put colored cellophane (red) inside the clock face and in turn that cancelled out the green and left him with a white faced clock. Then other people were experimenting and making them red, blue, etc. So does anyone want to try? Thikn it will work? I'd like my clock to match my radio!

• Sponsors (?)

Since theres 45 reads and no replies...

DSC02475a.JPG

clock was originally green. I think it would work and look sweet in a stang (esp with white face gauges)
WRITE UP(To obtain a white clock):

1. Go to you local party store and purchase some cellophane paper. The color u are looking for is magenta or red. Now all u need is a very small quantity so buy at little as u can. Luckily it was on sale and I was able to purchase a whole role for $1.

2. Remove the clock from ur car and bring it in the house where u can easily work on it.

3. Remove the cover of the clock and remove the circuitry from the housing. Take a small piece of cellophane paper (all u need is one piece, no need to use double layers or u will get a reddish color and a blurry read out).

4. Take the small piece and attach it to the lcd using clear tape. I say tape it to the lcd and not the cover because its a little tougher to get cellophane paper to stay flush against the cover which in turn would lead to a blurry read out. Make sure the cellophane paper is tightly pressed against the lcd and space between the lcd and the cellophane paper is at a minimum.

5. Reassemble everything and ur done.

Optional:

*6. Now I know a lot of u guys were whining about not being able to have a blue clock, so if u want blue or any other color just purchase it at the party store and layer that AFTER u use the red/magenta. Note that the more layers u add the dimmer ur clock will appear to be and it might be possible that u will need to disconnect the night dimmer.

mootang do you have it still installed? I had the same problem kept blowing the fuse. Which happens to be the same fuse for the power door locks , and cruise and a couple other things. Took out the power door box took it apart and put it back together and now the fuse don't blow and the clock works. Well it did when i parked it back like 4 months ago. Not sure what the deal was i know my trunk leaks BAD gotta work on that soon and it leaks right onto the box so not sure if that was causng it or not. Can't see that causing it when all i did was take it apart and put it back together and now it works

yeah its still installed but it's not the fuse. when i got my car the clock would go off when i turned my headlights on at night and i always had to reset the time. and then one day it just stopped working completly. thanks though.

The only way that comes to mind off the top of my head is to find a different power source to illuminate the clock when the key is on. I'm not sure of a way to disable the dimmer.

Synned said:
Grr..the cellophane didnt work. Our clock LED's are green...along with a green window. Doesn't work. :-(

damn, that sucks... but why did it work for the maxima guys? their leds were green too correct?

i'm not good at art, but when they put green and red together, doesn't that make purple? i was just wondering how the guy figured out how to make it white?...
EDIT: i think i just figured it out for myself... red, green and blue make white, so red and blue is magenta... ok, i'm done

SOO what color exactly did you use, and what color did it turn out to make?

thanks for trying it out though

I bought some magenta cellophane from acme and put it in between the clock and the screen, nope. No matter how much I used. I think the problem is our actual LCD is green, like with no screen and then the plastic screen over it is green as well.