anyone who has driven or ever worked on a front wheel drive car...

Mar 31, 2005
anyone who has driven or ever worked on a front wheel drive car... this pertains to my winter beater. its a crappy 92 topaz with 60K. i put new tires on the front a couple weeks ago, and in the last few days, the left front sounds like it has extreme tire hum... it is speed not rpm related. WHAT IS THIS??!! im thinking wheel bearing, or cv joint?? i had plans to go on teh highway for about 45 minutes tomorrow for a snowboarding trip. what is it, and is it safe to drive on it until i can fix it?? thanks guys, i know its not mustang related, but its still important to me

• Sponsors (?)

ya, i dont think its the cv joints, i agree that they would pop when theyt are starting to go when in full rack, i was really leaning on the wheel bearing option... i justy dont undestand it. the tire has no wear yet, its only been a couple hundred miles and i checked, they still have the excess from the tire mold, or form... and show absolutely no wear signs yet... another interesting thing i should point out is that the noise is slightly reduced under acceleration, and completely reduced under braking... im thinking its just because bressure is being taken off of whatever it is, not that it is brake related

how loud is it maybe its just the tread on thoes tires??? wearing in or something due to an alignment problem??? i always though wheel bearings were more of a whine... jack up that side and rotate the tire if its a wheel bearing it will either have side to side play or you will ffeel it grind

im really not thinking its the tire, but the wheel has no free play or movement except normal roll. if this was infact the tire, it hasnt done it until the first couple hundred miles, then it came on rather suddenly within the last 50 miles and it is really loud for it to be the tires... its just like if i had really agressive mudders on there, like 33's or something. its that noise, and probably half as loud as hitting the vib strip on the highway at about 60!... enough that no normal tread tire should sound this way. another thing to note is that the tow (toe sp*) on the front tire might be off, the wear on the old set of tires was a bit off, but its not so extreme that im gonna sink money into alignment on the winter beater. anyone else have some ideas?

I didnt read everything since Im tired and its too long but if they are directional tires maybe you put them on facing the wrong way...And my friend had some problem with his rear tires making noise ill find out what it was tomorrow

its not a uni-directional tire. i suppose i'll take the tire off today and try to see whats up, i called off the snowboarding trip because of not knowing the problem. i didnt want to chance it. the only thing is... it def seems mechanical somehow... i drove it today and cornered under speed to see what i could hear, and it almost sounds like rubbing steel, or scraping of something on the axle when i lean the weight on the left side...

is that something i can put off for another month until the stang is on the road? or is it something that could fail all at once and be bad news? im just wondering what kind of borrowed time i have?

how long has it been making noise?? how loud or intesnse is the noise??

i had it start on my 95 f150 and i drove it the whole summer and into the begining of fall with it making noise before i traded it in..no problems for me but you dont want it to seize up that would be bad:nono:

its only been doing it for a couple of days now, probably since tuesday. its definately not quiet. i would comapre it to the noise you would get from driving a jeep or truck with real aggressive mud tires on the highway. what u guys think? i really dont want it to seize, but i might just wait til the stang is back on the road in mid to late april

its only been doing it for a couple of days now, probably since tuesday. its definately not quiet. i would comapre it to the noise you would get from driving a jeep or truck with real aggressive mud tires on the highway. what u guys think? i really dont want it to seize, but i might just wait til the stang is back on the road in mid to late april

My friends jimmy had this problem and we still went on a trip to ocean city, md. You'll be fine for a while.

alright, i think its been decided that ill probably wait until the stang is back on the road unless i have some free time (not likely) thanks for all the help guys! my granny cruiser thanks you hehe:lol:

remove the wheels nad

I'm not familiar with this part. I would not have guessed a Topaz even had those. :D

If it happened right after the new tires, I'd also guess that you got a bad tire. It'd take some wheel swapping to narrow it down (see if the hum follows the wheel/tire).

Good luck.