anyone with a fuel-cell??

2muchtime

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2002
MA.
looking for advise on proper fitting fuel cell, i need this to be effective and safe, with an outside fill.
planning on cutting out the spare tire well to make room for dual exhaust
at the same time
anyone thinking of doing this or have done this please reply. :stick:
i personally think its a good idea, since the II tank in my opinion is a waste
of time to mess with relocating,cutting ,chopping, or adding 3/8 line to..

• Sponsors (?)

There's lots of ways to do a cell in the car. It all depends on what your intention for the car is. If you plan to race it, you can't just mount a cell in the trunk. The II has no rear firewall, so you would either have to fabricate one to isolate it from the driver compartment, or you could cut the trunk floor and sink it half in and half out. But you'd still need to have a proper spec shield around it, on both sides of the trunk floor. Sinking it into the trunk floor will also allow you to mount it low enough that you should be able to use a 45* neck off the cell, and then run it up to the factory filler neck. If it's just s street car, then you can mount it anyway you like. My brothers car just had it bolted in the trunk to the floor inside the car, but his car will never see the track.

i definately do not want a cell in the car with me, its a streetable car
which sees a little track time, i basically drive to work which is 30 seconds away, so i usually cruise a little after work..
i dont want to have to fill the cell by popping the hatch or getting fumes in the car (especially being a smoker)..
my thoughts were to remove the II's fuel system altogether and basically
cut-out and cover the spare tire well so that i can move the fuel cell to the
right a little for tailpipeson each side.. as we all know its a tight fit.

i dont understand why you would have it half in/out?
i figured i could mount it underneath as the original is?
would this be legal for racing in the quarter mile?
are there any fuel cells that have a side mount fill
(mabye in the upper left hand corner)??
i would be worried about a fuelcell in the car with me for fear i saw what happened to the crash dummy ford tested with the pinto. gas bath on fire.

fuel cell

I still have the gas tank that I pulled out of my car it was still in good shape, Plus I have one that I added a rear sump to it.. I added a fuel cell to my car about two years ago when I first got my car going good.. the way that I run my cell is put it where the tire went I cut a big hole in the pan but later I found out that the car would run out of gas on a 1/4 tank so I rased the cell up and just run the lines though the bottom it works really good. you do not half to cut a big hole just a hole about 4x2 just to run the lines. I added a peace of 3/4 " plywood around it and cover it with carpet. I will take a few pictures of my car so everyone car see i'm talking about...

I've thought about the gas tank a lot since I detest the Ford design. From what I've read, fuel cells are big $$. The bladder eventually breaks down which is expensive to replace. Now if you race the car then the insurance a fuel cell provides is worth it.

My idea is to cut the fuel tank in half. The top half, since it has such a weird shape and usually rusts the worst, would be thrown away. In its place I'd weld a squarish looking piece (out of maybe 18 gauge?) which would give me extra capacity. I'd also weld an outlet where the rubber hose attaches to the tank from an early model gas tank (65-68). That way I could get replacement rubber fillup tubes from a catalog. Then I'd cut the wheel well out and weld in new steel to flatten the floor... maybe I'd add a box for the battery... Then I'd have to fashion some kind of steel tube that would run to the tank... that part I'm not quite sure of. However I hate the plastic reserve tank behind the rear wheel so something is going to have to replace it. The big advantage to keeping the bottom half of the tank is that you have some way to secure it back to the body and it looks completely stock from the outside. Well that's it, let me know what you think.

d

Mstng2 said:
If your going to keep the car streetable I would fix/repair the fuel tank you have, as bad as the design may be. It's a hecka lot easier than fabing up a fuel cell like you describe. :nice:

I'm a good welder so most of what I mentioned could be accomplished in a day. My current tank has pinholes in the top which would require careful welding to fix anyway. Also the rubber tube that crosses over from the plastic reserve is rotting. I figure if I'm going to go through the trouble, I might as well do it right and use parts I can easily procure and replace in the future.

d

i would definately like to see pics vincent,
dmoody your ideas are great, and id like to hear more from other people
on what they would like to do,or have done.. it would probably help me
to buy /build a great fuel system with out going overbored on cash :D