Anyone with cams/stroker kits.....come in!

Unreal281

Dec 18, 2004
Aight guys.....car is finally running the way it should......I have 44,404 miles on the clock....and i'm ready for some serious power......i wanna beef up the motor....what is the largest most efficient stroker kit that i can get??? and what set of cams??

With what i have done now.....what kinda power numbers would i be looking at???

thanx guyz

P.S. I know alot of you are going to suggest blowers, but i'm concentrating on my motor for now
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

ok...all good info, but what is the LARGEST size i can stoke/bore my motor out to? I'm new to this stuff....

can i only take it up to a 302?

or can i take it up to a 5.4???

I'm a newb to this stuff

well, as a part of this argument.....why would people use strokers then??? I don't think ive ever seen anyone say something about their own stroker....

all i hear is he said she said stuff....i wanna know what kind of power i'd be looking at and what not....i wanna make BIG numbers with this car....

BTW, thanx for the link TOMUSTANG....very helpful, i'm still a little confused/interested though....:SNSign:

02g-machine said:
Why does everyone keep saying that bigger is not better with the mod motors? I thought there was no replacement for displacement???
The valves are in a not so good location and don't benefit from the extra stroke...stock stroke is already near or longer then a 460. If you get the 3.70 big bore it help unshroud the valves. Now you could get the SVO heads because they have better valve placement. Another issue with a stroker on a 4.6 is at BDC the piston comes more then 50% out of the bore and becomes extremely unstable. If these motors had a 4.0 bore stock then things would be different but they don't. I've seen dyno's where guys gained NO HP with the addition of a stroker and minimal TQ gains.

droptopponynj said:
The valves are in a not so good location and don't benefit from the extra stroke...stock stroke is already near or longer then a 460. If you get the 3.70 big bore it help unshroud the valves. Now you could get the SVO heads because they have better valve placement. Another issue with a stroker on a 4.6 is at BDC the piston comes more then 50% out of the bore and becomes extremely unstable. If these motors had a 4.0 bore stock then things would be different but they don't. I've seen dyno's where guys gained NO HP with the addition of a stroker and minimal TQ gains.

exactly,.. and first hand I have seen the mayham caused by strokers and unstable pistons at high RPM. Not a pretty picture.

I know of a handful of 2V N/A 5.0L Big Bores making 350+ RWHP, of course they have ported heads and cams, but one of them is using the plastic PI intake. All of these cars are street cars and are daily drivers.

Unreal281 said:
So what should i do then?

Bore it??? how far???

how much power will i see.....?

The Maximum bore on a 4.6L Block is 3.7", stock Bore is 3.54".

With good 2V heads, good cams, a good exhaust system and a good tune, you should have no problem seeing 350 RWHP. With a good intake on a 2V, 380+ RWHP would be attainable.