Anyone with Solid Axle running Rear CoilOvers

99CobraJMS

Founding Member
Sep 10, 2001
Austin
I reused my Koni Shocks with the Maximum CoilOvers. These are Single Adjustable Koni Yellows. I got them set as soft as possible. The shocks are 3 years old and the CoilOvers were added a year ago, the solid axle swap done 3 months ago.

The ride is exteremly rough. Rough enough that I can become air borne in my seat if I catch a major bump in the road. I have driven GTs in the past and they were stock setups and no way near this crazy.

Any suggestions? BTW, My setup in the front is 2000 Cobra R springs. These are very stiff springs, like 700-800 lbs.

I am tired of getting slammed in my car seat.

• Sponsors (?)

99CobraJMS said:
The ride is exteremly rough. Rough enough that I can become air borne in my seat if I catch a major bump in the road. I have driven GTs in the past and they were stock setups and no way near this crazy.

What is your spring rate in the rear?
Why did you only put coilovers on the rear and not the front?
Do you have a swaybar on the rear? If you do, what size is it?

(One and Three are VERY important)

What is your spring rate in the rear?

I can not recall, I did not order this directly, I do know that MM gave their advice. But it was a setup for my previous IRS. I need to find out, but I am thinking to buy a spring rate of 150, and use the koni shock adjustment. Set the shock soft for the track and stiff for the road with a 150 rate.

Why did you only put coilovers on the rear and not the front?

Cost. I was deep into solid axle project, made a cost decision to keep front springs "asis". Still thinking to keep them because I main drag race and want the front to not get loose on me.

Do you have a swaybar on the rear? If you do, what size is it?

Got me on that one when you said size. I went to ford parts and asked for a 2000 GT rear sway bar since I have a 2000 GT rear. Ford gave me the part. There was no discussion on sizes. I figured one size.

John

99CobraJMS said:
I can not recall, I did not order this directly, I do know that MM gave their advice. But it was a setup for my previous IRS. I need to find out, but I am thinking to buy a spring rate of 150, and use the koni shock adjustment. Set the shock soft for the track and stiff for the road with a 150 rate.

If it was coil-overs meant for a IRS, then I'm guessing its going to be greater than 400lbs. That is WAY to much for a solid axle car which is why your "pitching" over bumps.

FWIW, I am running 225lb 10" Hypercoils in the rear. I don't know what your intentions for the car are, but 150lbs seem a little light. Also, dump that stock rear swaybar. When I first installed my coil-overs I had a rough riding issue over bumps and bridges. After consulting with some racers, I was told to ditch the swaybar because the coil-overs would be enough to control body roll.

Sendero, I will bet they are 400 or more since my front springs are 750-800 since they are Eibach's 2000 Cobra R springs.

Will remove sway bar.

I just looked at the MM web site and the lowest rate was 200 and not 150. So 225 is good for me.

What are you running up front?

My main goal is just drag racing at the track but this is also my daily driver for now. So needs to be able to ride OK on street. Right now it is a wild bronco!

John

hey Sendero, you still have the 96cobra?
i have a 97cobra and was wondering what mods you have done. i'm just starting out and dont know whether to do bolt ons or suspension first. here are my list of mods:

Brembo slotted/drilled rotors
steeda tri ax
Cobra Rs-17X9f 17X10.5r
FRPP king cobra clutch
flowmasters cat back