AOD-2.73 to 3.73

• Sponsors (?)

You are going to be very very very happy. If its a strip car that gear change could shave .5 second off.
You are going to love it. I promise. Post back here when you get it done. I would like to here what you say.....I am happy for you. You will love it.

mike keirstead said:
You are going to be very very very happy. If its a strip car that gear change could shave .5 second off.
You are going to love it. I promise. Post back here when you get it done. I would like to here what you say.....I am happy for you. You will love it.
Thanks Bro,yea I will post dont worry!The only other big mod I have is a PI torque converter,this car should really come alive!!!!!!!!

Rear tire size (diameter) impacts speed vs. rpm; plus factory speedos and tachs are known to not be the most accurate. Also, the T-5's can have a .59, .63 or .68 5th gear ratio which also changes things. So if you're planning on trying to get closer than 100 or 200 rpm on aod vs 5 speed rpm/speed comparisons, it may be a waste of time.

mike keirstead said:
Stock heads---12.60'sWOW-----------JUICE???

5spd GT said:
I'm turning right about 2000 with the 5spd.....

I thought an auto would have less rpm at 60 then a 5spd because of the way the trannies are geared....lol...I guess not

David
DUDE, I wont have my 3.73's till Tuesday,Im just going by what Ive read about the gears,so yes,an auto will do less RPM then a 5--speed!!!!!!!!!!

willys1 said:
DUDE, I wont have my 3.73's till Tuesday,Im just going by what Ive read about the gears,so yes,an auto will do less RPM then a 5--speed!!!!!!!!!!

What? Do you think I'm complaining or something :rolleyes: ....

Some people take stuff to serious :D

I knew you were putting them in Tuesday...I was just "thinking" out loud I guess...

David

Hi,

You'll really like the 3.73s. I chose them for several reasons:

Top speed in 3rd = 120 MPH @ 6200 RPM with my 255/40ZR17s which give 829 revs/mile.

2100 RPM @ 60 MPH in OD
3100 RPM @ 60 MPH in 3rd

A friend of mine had 4.10s and was running out of RPMs at the 1/4 so he had to go with a bigger diameter tire.

Most 5.0s can't rev. over 6200 due to valve float anyways. So with 3.73s a stall converter, good shift kit and good control arms you'll out lauch those 5 speeds :)

Good Luck, Don

gt90stang said:
Hi,

You'll really like the 3.73s. I chose them for several reasons:

Top speed in 3rd = 120 MPH @ 6200 RPM with my 255/40ZR17s which give 829 revs/mile.

2100 RPM @ 60 MPH in OD
3100 RPM @ 60 MPH in 3rd

A friend of mine had 4.10s and was running out of RPMs at the 1/4 so he had to go with a bigger diameter tire.

Most 5.0s can't rev. over 6200 due to valve float anyways. So with 3.73s a stall converter, good shift kit and good control arms you'll out lauch those 5 speeds :)

Good Luck, Don
Thanks Don,yea,I forgot to mention Im getting a trans-go kit installed the same day,Thanks Ive been waiting for someone to tell me that!!