AOD-E Help? Racing...

Mstng2

Founding Member
Jun 27, 2002
- - Zion - -
So I went to the track last night and went out second round last night cause the transmission didnt shift into second gear, which forced the motor into the rev limiter and game over!! SO here's my observations and I need some help to find a solution.

1) The transmission has no problems at all normal driving.
2) When there is no wheelspin the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd right at the revlimiter, sometimes just tapping it, 2nd to 3rd never a problem.
3) When I spin badly off the line, it hits the rev limiter, da da da da da da and then finally shifts to 2nd. Sadly that takes .6 of a second and I am done racing for the night.

ANY AOD-E pro's out there can help? Oh one last thing this issue began when I supercharged the car. Prior to that it never reved fast enough to do this. It's like the transmission is to slow to respond to where the car/engine is.

Car = 2000 GT w/ Saleen Series II Supercharger, Saleen Tune, AOD-E Trans.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles does this vehicle have on it, and when was the last time you flushed your transmission and changed the transmission filter ? The reason why I ask is because the transmission fluid and filter should be changed every 25-30k miles under normal usage, and if you're racing it a lot, or driving it hard, then it wouldn't hurt to change it every 20k.

What kind of gears do you have in the rear ?

Also, do you have a sports chip, or has your ECU been flashed programed at some point in time ?

It sounds to me like between the 3.73 gears and all that power you're making, the transmission can't shift fast enough to beat the engine to the rev limiter. a tune to program the 1-2 shift earlier at wide open throttle would likely cure the problem. Performing the J-mod would help too, by shortening the time it takes to shift. Info on the J-mod can be found at TTCoA.com.

It sounds to me like between the 3.73 gears and all that power you're making, the transmission can't shift fast enough to beat the engine to the rev limiter. a tune to program the 1-2 shift earlier at wide open throttle would likely cure the problem. Performing the J-mod would help too, by shortening the time it takes to shift. Info on the J-mod can be found at TTCoA.com.
The problem really isn't the power. If he has 3.73 gears, then he needs to get his computer recalibrated for the gear change. Without a tune or custom program for those 3.73 gears, the ECU is still going to follow the normal shift pattern for stock gears (3.27's), and it will begin the shift process as if the stock gears are in the rear (and they're not).

I would recommend SCT over anyone else since Jerry Wroblewski works for SCT (at least the last I heard he was working for them), and does their tuning packages for the 4r70w transmission. The J-mod is also a good idea, but if you don't know what you're doing, then it's best either to not do it, or let a professional handle the job.