AOD rebuild problems, help if you can!!!

rurockn

Nov 6, 2000
I am having two problems with my AOD transmission rebuild and I'm now totally stuck and looking for help.

1. I bought an Art Carr single piece input shaft spline and it is different than my forward clutch cylinder spline. My forward clutch cylinder is stamped steel, supposedly from a 1990 E150 van.

2. I decided to skip the forward clutch and move along with the rebuild then ran into another problem: I dropped the direct drum/input shaft into the case, then dropped the planetary set and center support into the case. I noticed that it was about a quarter inch from going all the way in. I removed all of the parts from the case and tried to install the planetary into the direct drum on my work bench and it would not go in all the way. I then removed the planetary to inspect the direct clutch assembly. I noticed the top of the direct clutch hub isn't flush with the top of the direct clutch pressure plate, instead it is sitting about a quarter inch higher and riding on the needle bearing. What could be causing this?

I've done rebuilds before but only stock rebuilds, never with the Alto power pack or a single piece input shaft... this is driving me nuts. If you have any advice please let me know as I am totally stuck at this point.

Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)