AOD to T5 swap

a885.0

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 2, 2004
CT
I was planning on beefing up my AOD with a manual valve body,converter,and trans cooler which came out to around $1200 but I am affraid that I will not be satisfied with the perfromance so i am going to convert to a T5,I found a kit from Mustang Specialties,Inc. which is $1695 with everything that I will need, has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the company??also if anyone has additional advise or info. about the swap please let me know.

Thanks

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

I cant answer your ques. but,I think you' d be very happy with a worked aod!! I have an aod with a 2800 stall,shift kit 373 gears and a aluminum DS,,My motor is mostly stock,and this thing leaves the line likes its pissed the f@ck off :nice:

I wanted a standard car to begin with, but i couldnt pass up this car it is in really good shape and iam just really tired of the auto.So I am ready to do the swap.

Definately go stick. It is much more fun to drive (my opinion as I had both) and the track times dropped. Never going back as long as I can help it!

My swap wasnt as bad as others have made it sound, the pedals were tough but not bad, the rest merely is running the clutch cable, wiring harness and then fitting the tranny (cross member, cutting tunnel for shifter, etc.). It was worth it.

I spent about $2000 total and ended up with a 3550, centerforce dual friction clutch, bellhousing, and a triax shifter. I bought all this stuff used for like $1200 Also got an aluminum drive shaft. All within $2000 easy. Not too bad when you consider the what these transmissions cost new all by themselves. No comparing auto to stick as far as the fun factor goes. It was like I got a whole new car. This was the good part about trading my 01 5-speed for an Audi for my wife. Well, that and the fact that when I get to drive my wife's car now it has twin turbo's, twin intercoolers, 6-speed manual, all wheel drive, and Bose :D

Definitely swap. I dropped about $300 total on mine and it's made the car so much more fun and powerful that I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. http://projecthp.ford23.com/howto.html is primarily directed toward the 2.3, but there's some great universal info.

If you do decide to swap, get an adjustable clutch quadrant and install it before you put the pedal assembly in the car!!!! I can't stress this enough. If you ever try to do one when it's in the car, you will know where I'm comin' from.

Ash

i swapped out and couldn't be happier......as for Mustang Parts Specialties (MPS), I've been to there location several times (Winder, GA) as I live not too far from them. They're a good place with TONS of junk cars to pull parts from as well as a fairly well organized storage wearhouse. They're definitely reputable, but I've never bought anything but the the little necessities from them. Good luck!

25thmustang said:
Definately go stick. It is much more fun to drive (my opinion as I had both) and the track times dropped. Never going back as long as I can help it!

My swap wasnt as bad as others have made it sound, the pedals were tough but not bad, the rest merely is running the clutch cable, wiring harness and then fitting the tranny (cross member, cutting tunnel for shifter, etc.). It was worth it.

Wiring harness? Are you talking about the clutch pedel/starter thing or is this something i've missed?

eh....i feel stupid.....i coulda sworn your original post said Mustang PARTS specialties...oh well....it said Mustang Specialties which is more than likely a separate location....

as for my swap....i let my local performance shop do it....the tranny was about 1600 bucks (refurbished World Class t-5 from tremec with 1 yr/36K warranty) plus the other necessities....I ended up forkin out $2800 total......but i had to have a new tranny ASAP as my AOD had crapped out on me for the second time...i absolutely LOVE my five-speed despite the millions of speedbumps on my campus....it's the best mod ever

I think that we are talking about the same place the one i am talking about is in Georgia also. The tranny is a used t5 but comes with 90 day warrenty and if it goes a rebuild kit is only $285 i just dont want to spend over $2000 for the swap, the kit with a brand new t5 is like $2295, and the one with the used is $1695

well, I had a long speech going until my pc crashed(stupid windows). to make a long story short, $1600 is to much. I can ship you most everything you need for about $300. all you'll need is a trans crossmember, clutch cable. pm or email me at [email protected] and I'll let you know what I have. I've also done the swap and a 5 speed is much better.