aod to t56 6 speed swap

ReefBlue93

Jan 31, 2004
Bremen, GA.
I am going to swap my AOD to a tremec t56 6-speed, has anyone done this and what problems have arose? Does anyone know of a company that offers everything in one package. Also does anyone know how to find out how many cars were produced with certain options or certain colors. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

i have recently done this swap and it was a little confusing at some parts but over all not to bad. i ordered my kit from amp perfomance in arizona. the owner tom helped me put together the kit and there were minor problems but over all it was ok. i have a 91 lx notchback and i had to elongate the holes where the crossmember bolts to the car, and when everything was all lined up again i welded washers where i had elongated the holes so it was secure. i also had to use a trans mount for a 93 camaro. you will also have to make holes in the new crossmember in order for the trans mount to fit on the crossmember. also the t-56 bellhousing is much wider than an aod, i recommend putting on long tubes in the same operation, because the stockpipe wont fit, well it will but way too tight. also the stock h-pipe will need a little fabing to be hung back up. you can use the old h-pipe hanger off the old tranny. the speedometer cable will need to be relocated but will reach. oh and adjustable clutch quadrant and assy. definate must or else the self adjusting one will make you go crazy. make sure you do this before installing the clutch/brake assy. or you will want to commit suicide, or at least i did when i drove about tweenty miles before the pawl reached the end of the quadrant. oh by the way have fun with the whole changing the clutch/ brake assy. i must have spent six hours under neath my steering wheel throught the whole project two doing the new quadrant alone, that pawl is a pain... but if your even still reading this and need any help or even pics just ask, i dont come on to often but ill get back o you .

I have done this swap and used D&D Viper T-56 and their install kit.

Someof the steps won't exactley pertain to you since I went from an AOD to a T5 and then to Ther Viper T-56

I will go through a number of things but they not be in the order that you
need to do them,

1) You need to put a washer or two under the pivot ball. D&D does not do
this for you, so keep the one off of your T-5 or buy a new one, either way
this is VERY IMPORTANT!

2) You are going to have to grind out the flex plate where the clutch cable
goes through the hole in the bellhousing because it partially blocks it.

3) Install the transmission with the bell housing attached since I was
unable to get it lined up on the dowel pins the other way. sounds crazy but
the dowels are very, very tight.

4) The reverse lockout needs to be addressed IMO. Find a plug that fits the
solenoid prior to installing the trans so you can make sure it fits
correctly. I used a GM sensor plug and wired it to the cigarette lighter
with a momentary switch on the console. Works great, no problems selecting
reverse. You can also wire it up to your brake lights your choice

5) Careful of the fuel line when drilling the holes for the new crossmember.
Also I had mine welded after I got everything inn for added insurance. The
T-56 is very heavy and bolts through sheetmetal is not a great idea IMO.

6) You are going to need to get new longer bolts for the bellhousing because
it is thicker than the T-5 and AOD. So check the depth and get the correct ones
before you start that install.

Good Luck,
Jim