Aod Tv Cable Adjustment

5.0ttops87

Nov 12, 2016
Hey guys I'm struggling to figure out what is really wrong with my transmission.. I had it rebuilt maybe 10,000 miles ago.. right after the rebuild the car wouldn't shift to over drive.. then after a while of driving it starting going into it.. then it would occasionally have a "shift lare" as the transmission guy said.. As I kept driving it eventually didn't shift to o/d then no more 3rd gear.

Side note - no shavings in the pan and the fluid never smelled like it was burnt.

I also recently replaced the valve body on it try it out going off of what others have had luck with. (shooting in the dark..) nothing looked out of place from what i could tell when i replaced the valve body..

Now I guess my question is could this be by a tv cable adjustment (maybe im being very stupid about it but i really don't know what the hell is wrong with it.. now it wont shift from first..)

• Sponsors (?)

You stated you 'had it rebuilt' so I'm thinking you took it to a trans shop, why didn't you take it back? 'Shooting in the dark' is not a good idea, I killed a perfectly good washing machine that way.
I think you may be looking at another rebuild, but I'm not schooled in auto transmissions, although I am kinda shifty.
:rlaugh:

You stated you 'had it rebuilt' so I'm thinking you took it to a trans shop, why didn't you take it back? 'Shooting in the dark' is not a good idea, I killed a perfectly good washing machine that way.
I think you may be looking at another rebuild, but I'm not schooled in auto transmissions, although I am kinda shifty.
:rlaugh:
hilarious.. The guy who rebuilt does them out of his garage.. yeah I know I've heard a million times after don't ever do that.. and he thinks its my case cracked.. I really don't believe that but either way it sounds like I'm sol.. i really don't even think i actually got 10k on it .. probably wasn't even 5k but I still don't know.. either way hopefully someone who is transmission savvy will comment.

I haven't actually added up how many miles so sorry for guessing 10k but yeah as soon as it was having these issues he jumped to a conclusion that it had to be my case cracked.. He knows how to build transmissions and he showed me all of the parts but I'm thinking he missed out on something.. I've been seeing things about the bushing going bad or the linkage replaced on the tv cable.. I have a new bushing tho... recently replaced(lost the brass one)

I got a buddy that does ford aod's outta his garage, never heard about any of them having problems, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your problem started out sounding like a tv cable miss adjustment, but again I'm no expert.
Take it to a trans shop and see what they say,
I should ask does your shifter move like it supposed to

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but based from the symptoms you have explained, the trans is toasted. AOD's tend to fail in that manner. The overdrive fails, then it is downhill from there. Or, the valves in the valvebody are stuck. Try pouring in a bottle of lubegard 60902 (red bottle). Wouldn't hurt trying that. It is not a fluid thickener like Lucas, it is a friction modifier and helps to loosen stuck valves in the valvebody and helps fight tranny fluid breakdown.

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but based from the symptoms you have explained, the trans is toasted. AOD's tend to fail in that manner. The overdrive fails, then it is downhill from there. Or, the valves in the valvebody are stuck. Try pouring in a bottle of lubegard 60902 (red bottle). Wouldn't hurt trying that. It is not a fluid thickener like Lucas, it is a friction modifier and helps to loosen stuck valves in the valvebody and helps fight tranny fluid breakdown.
I replaced the valve body also.. so I'm gonnna go with I'm SOL and need to have it rebuilt again